Ambulet history

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Ambulet history

Postby stevel200 » 2009 Apr 11 Sat 3:05 pm

I know most of you are restoring or resto-rodding your Conestoga wagons, and as you know, my '54 Commander Ambulet ambulance is pretty faithfully restored. The interesting thing about an ambulance is that it's unique. It's not a car just like thousands manufactured just like it. A professional car is specific and is part of someone's or some town's history. And occasionally, one can luck out and talk to someone that knows and cares about that history. I got to find out a little more about the history of my Ambulet. If you're interested, read on.

The other day, I spoke with Mr. Max Venolken, from Nashwauk, MN. He called me and left a message that he was “the guy that drove that Studebaker ambulance into the city of Nashwauk the day it was brought home.” My Studebaker Ambulet is, of course, from Nashwauk.

Max said someone had shown him a photo of my Studebaker Ambulet in a magazine (apparently, Old Cars Weekly), and he found my number on the internet.

Max told me that he was the wrecker owner in Nashwauk in '54, he owned two wreckers. Mr. Frank Blair was a police officer. One night, Max and Frank were at an auto accident, and watched a friend of theirs die on the side of the road due to there not being an ambulance. Mr. Blair then decided to start an ambulance service for Nashwauk. This was the first ambulance in the city. Max said he was “about 17” when he started working for Blair (but he is 75 now, so he was probably 20).

They bought a Studebaker ambulance because “there was not much else to choose from, other than hearses.” Max said the ambulance was very fast with the V-8 motor, which was what they needed. He acknowledged that the Studebaker was pretty small, but OK for most patients. He said that “the big guys could bend their knees a little, then they’d fit OK.” He said Mr. Blair had some trouble driving the ambulance as he was a big fellow, so he had to sit bent over a bit. Max didn’t have a problem, as he’s “not but 5 feet tall”.

Max said they did not carry much equipment, just a small first aid kit. They did not carry oxygen or a resuscitator. He didn’t remember if they had a second stretcher.

Max said that Mr. Blair was concerned that the ambulance “didn’t attract enough attention”, so he soon added a “big, chrome, Federal siren” to the right front fender. With that siren and the siren on the roof, now it attracted enough attention for Mr. Blair. (When the shop was restoring my Ambulet, they found holes in the front fender they couldn't identify, which prompted my question to him about it).

Max said they kept the car for a few years and were very happy with it. They bought a ’61 Chevy wagon ambulance to replace it, and they sold the Studebaker at a local car auction. A guy and his two sons bought it, he thinks the sons probably added the extra chrome trim to it that was on it when I bought it. He didn’t know what happened to it after that.

Neat bit of history, and a great opportunity to talk with a man who drove my car when it was new. He and I pledged to keep in touch, and he has invited me to bring the Ambulet to their Fourth of July parade.
stevel200

Re: Ambulet history

Postby hi-per al » 2009 Apr 12 Sun 12:33 pm

Steve...That is a way Kool bit of history. Small world especially with the advent of the iInternet. Gotta say thanx to those kids for the nice stainless and to you again for passing it on. Keep smilin...
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2009 Apr 12 Sun 9:34 pm

Agreed...very nice.
Thanks for passing that info along.

It is a cool wagon...even if it was raining lightly when I was there...!

Mike
Mike

Postby BRIZ » 2009 Apr 15 Wed 7:26 am

very cool
thanks for sharing

my amblet was in service at the local aluminum plant (now gone) here in Vancouver Washington just 3 miles from my home.
BRIZ
Site Admin

Postby stevel200 » 2009 Apr 17 Fri 2:02 pm

Mike wrote:It is a cool wagon...even if it was raining lightly when I was there...! Mike
Thanks, Mike, I'm glad you enjoyed your brief, damp visit. Hey, best we could do......

BRIZ wrote:my amblet was in service at the local aluminum plant (now gone) here in Vancouver Washington just 3 miles from my home.
Briz, now you need to find someone who worked at the plant and drove your Ambulet! Someone will remember....

My latest progress is I put a new (well, newly acquired, rechromed) rear bumper on the car. Wow, what a pain. I had bought a bumper for it off e-bay in August, and got some friends to help me change it out at the Professional Car show. Unfortunately, in spite of the seller's assurances, it turned out to be a C-K bumper, not a sedan/wagon bumper! Back it went, and fortunately, he refunded everything including shipping! In March, I went to the Stude parts show in York, PA, and there was a guy selling bumpers. He had the right one (as well as a front bumper for my '63 Cruiser). So, with a lot of work and a lot of loosening and tightening nuts, the new one is on and it looks good. Whew!

Anyone need a '54 wagon rear bumper that needs blasted and rechromed?
stevel200

Postby stevel200 » 2009 Jun 29 Mon 7:51 am

Time for a new adventure. This week, my father and I will be taking my Conestoga Ambulet back to Nashwauk, MN, the town where it was originally used as an ambulance. I was invitied to participate in the Fourth of July parade there. Should be an interesting trip, particularly the opportunity to meet Max, the man who drove the ambulance when it was new, and other folks.

(It's still running rough, so we are obviously trailering it up and back, but it should be good to drive in the parade.)

We'll be stopping overnight both ways at the midpoint of the trip, which happens to be....South Bend, IN. So on our way home, we will visit the Studebaker National Museum as well.

Should be a fun trip, wish me luck!
stevel200

Postby Mike » 2009 Jun 29 Mon 5:50 pm

Sounds very cool being able to talk to the original pilot of that thing.

Take lotsa pictures.

Have fun...

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2009 Jun 29 Mon 6:10 pm

Steve...Sounds like an awesome trip. I bet you find a number of folks with stories about that ambulet.

If you have time in South Bend you should look up Dennis @ SASCO and have a look around if you have not done so already.

Mikes rite ...Pics would be wonderful & Have fun ! !

Whats up with the running rough?

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Half Fast One » 2009 Jul 24 Fri 8:22 pm

Steve;

If you still have that bumper let me know. Also need to know what its going to cost me and cost to get it to Warner Springs, CA. 92086, or Irvine CA. 92612.

Thanks, Roger...
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby stevel200 » 2010 Jan 30 Sat 5:36 pm

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I took my Ambulet back to Nashwauk, it's original home, this summer. An article I wrote about it is in the February "Turning Wheels".

To answer the prior question, the running rough seemed to be junk in the gas tank, it's since been drained and cleaned out and now all is right with the world and it runs OK.

Half Fast One, do you still need the bumper?
stevel200

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA