Chop top Conestoga Wagon...on Ebay...

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Chop top Conestoga Wagon...on Ebay...

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Jan 17 Mon 4:04 pm

Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Postby hi-per al » 2005 Jan 17 Mon 6:17 pm

Awesome start on a beauty ride. Would have made an awesome sedan delivery. 8)
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2005 Jan 18 Tue 10:20 am

Sorry...but the car has too many "different" angles!

By that I mean...if you look at the car from the side....

1. The hood has one angle - factory
2. The grill has a different angle - factory
3. The windshield (A piller) has a different angle - custom
4. The door (B pillar) has a different angle - custom
5. The tailgate has a different, reversed angle that doesn't seem to be the oposite of anything - factory / custom?

The chopped top does look good, but the rest of the lines are just too....well, I can't think of anything good so I'll be quite.

Oh yea....the wheels ?????????????
Mike

Angles

Postby Half Fast One » 2005 Jan 19 Wed 6:56 am

Yeah, where are the wipers also? :? And the plain jane Interior. :cry: Why not a cooler dash since he made it himself :?: Granted a lot of good looking work done. It's black and looks straight. Why hang a radio when your making a dash ? :? Mike's right, not much thought when it came to laying back the windshild and rear window. Mabe he should have left the top alone or used different measurements front and rear.
Granted it does catch your eye :shock: at first glance, but after studying it for awhile there are a bunch of odd things about it. At least the top wasn't chopped to extremely and the one piece glass side windows seem OK. Wonder how the doors look after adding one piece windows since they have a bend at the wing windows ?
I know it's easy to pick on the vehicle and the guy who did it but I still give him credit for the effort. :wink:
Just my observations and opinions. That said and add two bucks and you can get a cup of coffee just about anywhere. Ha....
Roger
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Jan 20 Thu 10:03 am

I've always thought that if I chopped my top, I'd start above the rain gutters to get rid of some of the bulbous-ness and top heavy look. Then, I'd go into the windows...

I've also been pondering a sedan delivery and wonder if the factory ever built one or 'planned' to build one. It looks easy enough to just fill the window openings flush with panels attached on the inside (like a plug) or spot welded to the window opening perimeter.

About the 1 piece door windows, I saw an article where the owner custom made the opening at the sill and the top of the window frame to be straight and reset the window channel to make it all line up.

http://members.provalue.net/studes/stude33.HTM

I like the look of the car flaws and all. Would definately turn heads and if I had an extra $20-30K would consider buying it... 8)
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
Conestogaman

Postby Mike » 2005 Jan 20 Thu 11:54 pm

On the same note as "C"man is talking about.
I know a guy that is getting me a top off of a Lark wagon.

As close as I can measue my cars, a 59 Lark 2dr wagon, a 60 Lark 2dr wagon and the Conestoga....the outside dimensions appear the same. It is kinda hard to run a tape evenly around a compound corner!

So....it won't lower the window height at all but taking the Conestoga top off at the rain gutter and installing the Lark top, that'll lower the car height by about 3" and leave'm scratching their heads as to what was done.

Might happen later this summer...
Mike

Lark Roof

Postby Half Fast One » 2005 Jan 21 Fri 1:02 pm

Mike;
Shame on you. Ha.... That secret of your's about using a Lark Long Roof was supposed to be between you and I. Ha.... I was going to steal that idea and use it myself. Now you let the world know and there will be a bunch of guys out there hunting for Lark Long roofs. I thought it was going to be tough to find a roof in the first place, now I'll have a real tough time of it with other's looking for one also. It's just not fair, you've already got one lined up. I guess I'll have to come over to your place while your at work and try to snatch a roof off of one of your Lark Wagons... Yeah, like that's going to happen. Ha ..... You better get yours done quickly or someone else will use that idea and claim it for there own... At least I would have given you the credit if I would have found a Lark Long roof and used it. SURE, I WOULD HAVE, I promise..... Ha.... Now remember if you find a second Long roof or decide not to use the one you have lined up. I WANT IT !!!!!!
Anyone else out they thinking about this? FORGET IT!!!!! I was going to STEAL this idea first.... HA.
So, if you know where I can find a Lark Long Roof for sale, just the roof, around Southern California be sure to let me know. Just don't let Mike know, PLEASE ? I want to do this before he does. Ha Ha....
Ok Mike, I hope you know I'm just yanking your chain ? But I am looking for that long roof if you ever come across another.
Your local Idea Thief. :roll:
Roger
Half Fast One

Postby hi-per al » 2005 Jan 21 Fri 10:22 pm

Conestogaman...Dont believe that there was ever a true factory Conestoga sedan delivery, although Stude did offer window block out inserts available for the Conestoga.

Yowsers...Check out the E-Bay BUY IT NOW Price...... 45 K! !

My ride has just appreciated! 8) 8)
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Panel Express

Postby Half Fast One » 2005 Jan 22 Sat 8:09 am

Semi correction, from what I was told from the fellow I bought our Sedan Delivery (Panel Express as it is listed in the Studebaker Book). There where about a hand full of Panel Express's delivered from the Factory out here in California. Yes they where the wagons, but with the Panels already installed covering the back side window areas and with a Inside Panel that fit behind the front seat. Now since we have owned this vehicle we have tried to find out as much about these Panels as we could. The side Panels are shown with a part number in the Chassis Book but we have not found any reference to the so-called Interior Panel. I have even been lucky enough to speak with a couple of Old Farts that actually worked at the Factory in So. California. Unfortunetly they dont even remember Station Wagons coming through the Assembly Line let alone one with Panels covering the windows. Nor do they remember the Panels even being made in the Factory. Was told by a few other guys that the Panels where available from the Dealers Parts Departments for about $40.00 or $50.00.
The fella I bought the Panel Express had owned it for over 10 years and supposedly had traced back the previous owners. That is where and how he got his information.
My own thoughts about this one we own is that someone had just welded in Panels to replace the rear side windows. I think this because the Panels do NOT show any sign of being installed with fasteners from the inside nor are there any signs of a Panel being behind the front seat. It also had a matching rear seat in it when we bought it. I will be able to tell more after I get the body stripped. Until then it's all a guessing game about the one we own. I may never find out the truth about it but that does'nt matter as we intend to keep the rear side windows covered and leave the rear seat in.
Hopefully this will shed a little light on the subject and if anyone has more information that can be varified I sure would appreciate hearing from them.
Now if I can get these Kitchen Cabinets finished and get back to the Garage to finish the wife's 47 Mercury maybe then I'll be able to get started on the Studebaker. It's only been sitting there for about 4 years now. I'm getting to old and slow for this stuff. :wink: Ha.....
Roger
Half Fast One

Side panel part #'s

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Jan 22 Sat 11:32 am

How 'bout postin' the part #'s for those side panels if ya got em... 8)
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
Conestogaman

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA