New 54 Stude

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

New 54 Stude

Postby Mike » 2009 Oct 11 Sun 6:48 pm

This is what I've been doing instead of finishing the porting paper....well....just sorta-kinda.

The coupe body will have to wait for a second chassis. This chassis is for the Conestoga panel body.
I will be cutting rear windows in the body to make it look more like my actual wagon.

The carbon fiber "spring" holding the motor pod in place will have to be custom made for the correct wheel base. The one on there now has been...."modified"....to fit, but it's really not driveable the way it is. Carbon fiber sheet on order..!
The "shock" on top is adjustable for friction.

The tires are made for wider wheels. These tires will be narrowed to fit the narrow wheels that fit under the stock fender openings on the wagon body.

Nice thing about FM radios...NO ugly antennas sticking up out of the body...!

I know about the "CASO" moniker...and while this car drivable is well into the three digit range (including the control radio)..I can build copies. Since I'm not yet done, I don't have an exact cost yet.

http://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/

Click on "Slot and RC cars". Double click to enlarge any picture.
Sorry about all the dust..!

Mike
Mike

Re: New 54 Stude

Postby hi-per al » 2009 Oct 18 Sun 8:09 pm

Wow Mike...that RC stuff is gorgeous. Labor of love! Do you still have the Conestoga Slot car?

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Re: New 54 Stude

Postby Mike » 2009 Oct 19 Mon 12:09 pm

Hey Al -

Oh yea...still have the slot drag racer wagon.
Just hoping (!?) someone will open up a track nearer to me than 40 miles away that has a drag strip. I just call it a working model..!

I just found out about the 1/28 (?) scale RC cars. I know a guy that does (did!) a lot of Sport Bike work, both racing and street. He opend up the RC track. and closed his Sport Bike shop. Figure that one out. He thinks he'll at least make simillar money with less work. While more fun...I do wish him luck.
He's got his wife and three kids keeping things jumping in the new shop.

The cars are actually much closer to 1/24 scale than 1/28. But that's what the manufacturer calls them...they're Japanese !

Looks like I'm gonna build three. The Conestoga, the Coupe (Vintage NASCAR) and a model of my ol 61 Impala.
That was a fun car.
It had a 421 inch 409, Moon cam, old heavy Jahns pistons, I did some port work. I had a Switch Pitch T-400 made and put it in. I found a set of Norris NASCAR wheels, had the centers moved a little so they'd fit inder the stock 61 fender wells, two front sway bars, heavy rear springs. Some expensive (for me at the time) Good Year radial tires.

Anyway, so now I'l have a driveable model of it.

The damn little things aren't cheap. One aftermarket company actually makes a machined aluminum, fully adjustable, full working A-arm front suspension for them.
THAT'S what got me interested in them in the first place. But it figures...to get the tires UNDER the Stude body...the working suspension is TOO wide. So on this particular chassis, the front spindles just go up and down.
A new chassis, the parent company is comming out with...the upper a-arm works. The vertical pin is a solid ball on the lower and a slidable ball joint at the top. So as the car leans into a corner, the upper A-arm moves and the spindle will gain negitive camber...
Pretty cool stuff in such a small package.

Mike
Mike

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA