Lowering Conestoga front end

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Lowering Conestoga front end

Postby hi-per al » 2010 May 10 Mon 5:40 pm

Howdy...Anyone got any HOT tips on what to do and what not to do when it comes to lowering the front end on my "Connie"?

I want to lower her 2 1/2 to 3 inches on the front and a couple of inches in the rear. The rear does not appear to be an issue but the front is another story. I have new springs front and rear of "Connie" and she looks like she is on steroids.

I dont know if someone makes trick spindles, or a shortened spring that will still give me more ride than a buckboard, or if its best to pocket the lower A frame or? The roads in our neck of the woods are beat to death so I dont want to sacrifice a whole bunch of ride.

I would certainly appreciate some suggestions.

Thanx much...Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Re: Lowering Conestoga front end

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 May 10 Mon 11:50 pm

Great Question - Poor Timing.

Sorry to say but for your conditions you probably should have thought about putting in a Air Bag System or adjustable Coil Overs. If your frame and suspension system are both basically stock you don't have many options. You could have had the rear springs re-arched and avoided lowering blocks and shorter shocks. The front, other then what you have suggested, I think it's best if you wait until they settle first. After they settle then think about other options like cutting a coil out etc.

Sometimes there are optional weight coil springs, 6cyl. vs. 8 cyl. same with shocks. If you can find a Spring Manufacturer, Shock Mfg.,that will take the time to do some research they may be able to cross reference to a shorter progressive rate coil and shock.

You will also need to check tire clearance when you lower the front end. May need to make changes to wheel offset, wheel and tire size etc. May lose turning radius also. One thing leads to another.

Wish I had a easy solution for you but I don't. Back in the day we would take a torch or pump up white gas can and heat those coils until we got the front end down where we wanted it. Ride? what ride? It was cool ..

Hopefully someone else will have an answer for you.

Good luck, Roger....
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby hi-per al » 2010 Jun 02 Wed 7:31 pm

Roger...Thanx for the thoughts and way Sorry for the tardy response. Back burnered that project for a couple of weeks as spring is sprung and with that comes Nitro Motorcycle racing. As usual I would not get anything done if it were not for the last minute.

Now a couple of weeks w/o a race so start back on lowering options. At least try and build a plan. Considering the pocket plan but gotta see if I will have to lenghten or shorten top A frame to retain geometry. Dont think that I will heat the coils. But in the day I can sure see a bunch of that being done.

Thanx again...Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby hi-per al » 2010 Jul 04 Sun 4:34 pm

Mr. Mike

About the lowering thing...Nothing concrete yet. Still formulating a plan. In the middle of a short season in my world. Race this coming weekend and next one as well.

On a side note the paint on the dash of Connie is stunning!

You have mail!

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA