looking for gas tank

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

looking for gas tank

Postby s2dwagon » 2010 Jun 16 Wed 8:28 am

Hi All,

I am in search of a gas tank for my Conestoga. I don't really care if it leaks a little, as I plan on haveing it renewed/coated, as long as it is not too bashed up. Does anyone have one or a line on one?

Thank you,

Scott
s2dwagon

Re: looking for gas tank

Postby junk » 2010 Jun 28 Mon 9:51 pm

Scott,

I took a look at my tank again. I'll post a couple pictures when I can and see if it might work. I don't think it is as messed up as I initially thought.

Thanks,
Jeremy
junk

Postby s2dwagon » 2010 Jun 29 Tue 8:53 am

Thanks, Jeremy,

I'll look forward to seeing any pictures you have.

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Mike » 2010 Jun 29 Tue 9:15 am

We need to find out if any of the current manufacturers of old car tanks will work in the Stude's...or in this case, the Stude wagons.

Saw a picture of a new late 40's Chevy tank that "looked" like it might work. No dimensions given. The inlet was in the right spot, large seam flanges (like the Stude) for mounting purposes...!?

Maybe a call with some dimensions to one of these manufacturers might shed some light and help us out of the rusty, banged-up, leaky tank syndrome.

Mike

P.s - Thanks for tryin to help out Jeremy.
Mike

Postby s2dwagon » 2010 Jun 29 Tue 6:36 pm

Mike,

That is a great idea. My problem is; my tank "accidently" got recycled, so I have nothing to get dimensions off of. I do know that the wagons have a different part number (of course), that seems to be unique to them so finding a swap from another model is out.

I got a tank that was in the cargo area of a 54 Conestoga parts car I bought. Thought I was in luck, tank was perfect, not bashed in, like new on the inside. so I tanked it, had it lined, spent a bunch of dough on it, only to find out it will not fit. I learned that just because parts are in a car you purchase, doesn't mean they go in the car you purchase.

Anyway, that is why I recycled my tank, thought I had a good one. I know, STUPID!

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 Jun 30 Wed 10:49 pm

Hi Guys;

Anybody know off hand if a 60 Lard 4 Dr. wagon tank will interchage? I have a leed on one and only going to buy it for parts.

That is if I can get it at the wright price.

Roger....
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby Mike » 2010 Jul 03 Sat 9:02 am

Don't know for sure...but if I had to make a guess...I'd say yes. Or at least a yes, but with minor modifications.

It'll have the filler comming from the corner rather than the back. That's the big thing. THOUGH I have removed and relocated the filler in the past.... It's just soldered in place.
The fuel outlet and the float assembly might be in a slightly different location.
Also I've had to drill a (just one) new mounting hole location.

So what else is there..?
I'd say yea...

Mike

P.S. - Hey Roger....if the top is in good shape....just before you get rid of the carcus, I'd like to get first bidding the top...! It's an easy way to "chop the top" on a Conestoga..!
Mike

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 Jul 03 Sat 11:38 am

Sorry guys;

Both the 60 and the 62 lark station wagons that I had a lead on are both gone. Found them before my accident and of course they are both sold.....

Still need to know how to get pictures posted. HELP.....

Maybe I'll just Email Matt the pic's and he can post them? Doe's that make sense?

Roger...
Half Fast One

Postby s2dwagon » 2010 Nov 12 Fri 8:07 am

BUMP.

I am still in search of a tank. If you have one for sale, or know of one, please PM.

Thanks,

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 Nov 12 Fri 11:37 am

Scott;

Might be of help if we knew where you are located. I'm asking since I have sources for parts in different parts of the Country from guys that are not on this site. Some guys will not ship anything and only sell if you can pick up.

I'm sure there are others, here, that also know of a source that they could not get a part shipped from also.

Just a suggestion.

Roger....
Half Fast One

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA