54 Ultra Vista Conestoga

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

54 Ultra Vista Conestoga

Postby hi-per al » 2010 Nov 23 Tue 10:37 pm

Our Chapter of the SDC has decided to have old copies of Turning wheels at our Show and Shine, Car Show, and other assorted functions. These will be given away. The purpose of this is try and generate interest from prospective new members and see if we can get some younger folk interested.

This prompted me to start going thru a bunch of older issues and being selective about what I can donate to this cause. Long and short of it is that there are a bunch of these that I do not want to part with as well as some that I have no interest in. It is way kool on the things that I dont remember looking at previously. Hmmmm....Old timers disease?

This brings me to the title of this post. Does anyone recall seeing the Modified 55 Conestoga on Page 30 of the August 2009 Turning Wheels.What a tremendous amount of body work to build a 54 Ultra Vista. In my opinion it looks absolutely great! I thought about doing the same thing a number of years except using a 53 grille section instead. Studyed the swap quite thoroughly. A ton of work. So I gave up and just settled for removing all the rust and repairin the previously done Californicated bad body work. That has been the best part of a year now, although I have done a few small custom touches to the body it pales beside the effort of this rig.

Now if I could just remember what we were talking about?

O & O ... Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Re: 54 Ultra Vista Conestoga

Postby Mike » 2010 Nov 24 Wed 7:46 am

Don't recall right off hand the car you're talking about...cause you don't give enough details, but there's been a coupla "nice", highly modified wagons on paper page and the internet in the last few years.

A black one comes to mind, with the top chopped, modern laid back head lights, flush windows, etc. While not my cup-o-tea...it was very nicely done.

Yea, the Stude gatherings around here have been giving away the Turning Wheels for some time. I started keeping "only" the ones I had specific interest in and tossing the rest a coupla years ago. My house looks too much like a horders house now anyway...!

What do you mean
Californicated bad body work
...?
While SOME...do some pretty shoddy work...others do some pretty nice work. Problem is...you have to pay dearly for it.

Mike
Mike

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 Nov 24 Wed 8:28 pm

Al, Mike;

I took a look at that issue and that vehicle. Personally I don't really see that change as being that tough. Would need to have a 55 to measure but, the frames are the same, the roof tops are the same and the engine compartments, and firewall are also the same. Studebaker didn't make changes that would cost a lot of money. That said, they made cosmetic changes such as fenders, hoods, doors and panel, using the same chassis etc.

So, in my humble opinion, I only see replacing hood, inner structure pieces, grill work and fenders. May only need the 54 hood and just replace grill work since I don't really see a need for new fenders, maybe a little metal work to fit the 54 grill pieces. To make it look like a 53 all you need to change is the grill pieces or take off the teeth and fill the holes before re-chroming.

If you cut the front frame section off to install IFS clip, you should be able to install damn near any front end sheet metal you can think of, even stretch, widen or narrow wheelbase.

I remember a friend of mine way back in high school. He wanted some customizing done to his car but didn't have any money to pay for the work. He offered to do custom work on his buddies vehicles, including mine, at no charge so he could learn how to do it. I began to go with him just to watch and was amazed to see how his skills flurished. He became the guy to go to for any bodywork or customizing. I learned a lot from that kid about jumping in or taking that first step. I also learned that the toughest part of any custom work is the first cut. After that the worst thing that can happen is you admit your mistaken ability and hire some old fart customizer or a young gun to finish it. Remember that before all these expensive body tools and metal finishing machines all you needed was a couple of hammers, sandbag, a torch, lead and a hardwood stump, with those you could make or repair anything...... YOU STILL CAN !!!!!

Roger....
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby hi-per al » 2010 Nov 24 Wed 10:40 pm

Wow....That lit a fire!

Mike...Great to hear that we are getting current with our southern SDC clubs with the giveaway thinking! How do people respond to these freebies in general? Does it help create an odd new member?

My Connie was originally shipped to Portland and then sold in the Medford, Or. area. She was used to ferry numerous adolescent children to and from Redding, Ca. for university. She came to me from the Portland swap meet some 15 or so years ago. She was given a quick splash about 12 years ago. In the last year when I started doing body repairs because of soft spots and blistering under the paint I was quite surprised to find a whole bunch more to do than I bargained for. The rite rear quarter had been smoked quite hard and the fix was just welding another quarter over top. I knew that something hookie pookie had happened in this area but I really had no idea how bad it was. The entire drivers side of the unit had been peeled open about 12 inches above the rocker panel front to rear. Then bubblegum welded together and salved with a liberal dose of aluminized filler. I dont know how this rig was not written off in its life. I just assumed that it must have been a product of some Earl Scheib special to have been resurrected. Its the only way any one could have found it economically feasible to repair. Hence Californication.

This is when I really got a crash course in the differences in the Ultra Vista Conestogas. I had always thought that any Ultra vista 2 door sedan would have interchangeable parts with the Connie. Boy was I confused. Close but no cigar. Had to make a drivers door. That took a really good Lark door, part of a 2 door sedan door and the window surround off of the original door. Fits better than the original door on the other side. Then there was the rite rear quarter but that’s another story.

Roger...Your comment about Studebaker not making changes that cost a lot of money is lost here. The firewall is not the same or the dash or fenders or doors or hood or glass. That said, they only produced these wagons for the last part of the 55 model year and then short of the windshield threw the rest of it away for 1956. Where is that kind of thinking frugal? None of the 53/54 front end parts short of the bumper and headlight rings come close to fitting.

Anyway the only point that I was trying to make was that Rocky Borders did a remarkable amount of understated work to make his Conestoga look like it rolled out of the factory that way.

O & O….Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2010 Nov 25 Thu 5:12 pm

As I've heard, the fenders, possibly the firewall and doors are the same IF...you use the right parts. They have to be off of the "wrap around" winshield sedan. These in themselves are just as hard to find as our wagons.
While I don't have first hand knowledge, I have heard it from long time Stude people.

Mike
Mike

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 Nov 25 Thu 9:06 pm

Small correction;

The firewalls are ALL the same. The difference you may see is in the windshield frame or housing member that fits on top of firewall. The FIREWALL fits below the windshield housings which are different. Wrap around and basic flat.

The fenders are significantly different in the rear top part that butts up against the door. Again this may not be a problem if you use the same fenders that are on the 55 w/ a wrap around windshield.

The hood and grill section appears to be the primary problem and by using the front end of a 54, or even a 53 sedan hood and welding it to the rear section of a 55 wrap around would appear to be the basic change. Yes you would need the rest of the 53/54 grill pieces and sub pieces, simple bolt on and alignment.

The sub structures of all 2 dr. wagons through 58 are the same, the roof and everything from the door opening back is interchangeable. Front fenders, doors and rear quarter panels along with the other visible parts will bolt or weld to that basic rear sub section excluding that wrap around and/or flat windshield and door choice.

I guess I may be oversimplifying this without seeing both vehicle parts to compare, but I just don't believe it to be that difficult. I also remember the problem with replacing that door. I still can not find anything in the parts and chassis books that indicate that there were 2 different doors for wraparound windshield wagons and closed 2 dr sedans.

Oh well, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Ha!!!

Roger.....
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby hi-per al » 2010 Nov 25 Thu 11:59 pm

O.K Folks

Having both wagon styles in my possession and being in the midst of doing substantial amounts of body work on my Ultra Vista over the last year I will try and give you the benefit of what I learned the hard way after talking to a number of Stude experts who knew less than they thought they did.

Let’s start with the Drivers Door.

1955 Model D Conestoga Flat Windshield Drivers Door…PN…305041
1955 Model D Conestoga Ultra Windshield Drivers Door…PN…308589
1955 Model F 2door sedan Ultra Drivers Door……………..PN…308587

Ultra 2 door sedan doors will not fit because the rear top corner of the window frame is 1 ½ inches shorter. Must be to accommodate curved roof line on the sedanet. Also scallop on the 1955 2 door sedan door does not match for same reason. Other than these reasons it will fill the opening. 1956 to 1958 2 door station wagon doors will fill the hole. They do not have the scallop in the door skin. This 16G-D door was late 55 only.

Firewall

1955 Model D, F, W,Y … Flat…PN…299510
1955 Model D, F,W, Y…Ultra…PN…308068

Cowl Side Panels and door Supports Drivers Side

1955 Model D, F, W,Y…Flat…PN…..310415
1955 Model D, F,W, Y…Ultra…PN…310239

As Mike states the hood, fenders and other front end parts from any 55 Ultra sedan will fit as long as you can find them.

It’s not just a bolt on proposition. I trust this helps.

Cheers…Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby martinCHI » 2011 Aug 30 Tue 1:40 pm

hi! i recently moved to California and am excited to see that dream cars really do exist- saw a conestoga on the highway a couple months ago and was reminded of the first time i saw one in a book in 6th grade and KNEW it was in my future; lately, i've been doing some camping (but loading a honda civic with stuff isn't the most fun).. the CONESTOGA is the answer!!
martinCHI

Postby Mike » 2011 Aug 30 Tue 2:53 pm

Hey Martin -

Welcome.
Where in California are you ?

I'm in So. Cal., east of Los Angeles, off the 10 freeway.

Mike
Mike

Postby martinCHI » 2011 Sep 05 Mon 1:59 pm

mike- yes, i am in downtown los angeles; i might actually be going out to pomona sometime soon and would be interested in seeing a conestoga up close if you're anywhere nearby and happen to have free time for me to drop by! my number is 630-544-8851; have a great labor day!!
martinCHI

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA