C-T Wheels Info

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

C-T Wheels Info

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Mar 17 Thu 9:40 pm

I am reworking a set of C-T Alloy wheels for my "Connie". They seem to be even more unusual than 'Connie". Cant find any info on them other than they were made by a company called C-T Alloy Products in Hayward, California. The only addy I can find for them lists thier contact info as C-T Alloy Products, Dept. PHR. 1730 W. Winton Ave., Hayward, California without an area code. I assume that the PHR refers to Popular Hot Rodding?

They were marketed as "The New C-T Super Stock wheel that meets the specific demands of competition and and sports minded drivers. C-T wheels are die cast in 2 sections like aircraft wheels and to aircraft specifications."

I am really hoping that you Californianites (spelling) will be able to give me a little education about these wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keep smilin ... Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Re: C-T Wheels Info

Postby Half Fast One » 2011 Mar 18 Fri 12:16 am

Show us a picture. I think I know what you are refering too. Even if I'm wrong. Ha !! How many times has that happened. Ha!!! Someone will remember.

Roger..

PS: ASK MIKEY, He knows everything about old wheels. Ha!!!
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Mar 19 Sat 5:55 am

You both have mail.

AL
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2011 Mar 19 Sat 6:04 pm

Na...just a little about Halibrand and American Magnesium (real mag. wheels....!) and their copies...!

On Al's wheels...nope. As I told him, I've seen a KMC wheel of about mid/late 80's vintage that used a cap arrangement like that, but as far as I know, they didn't make a five spoke design.

Don't recall a C-T wheel. I did a quick google search...found nuthin.

Mike
Mike

Postby Stu Cool » 2011 Mar 22 Tue 4:49 pm

Try contacting Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine in Hayward, CA. They have been around since the 50s I believe and might have some info for you if any of the old timers are still there.

http://vichubbard.com/home.php?xid=c64c ... a7bee09f7b

Pat
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'54 Conetoga Retirement Project starting 2012
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Mar 24 Thu 8:54 pm

Wow..Thanx for the responses. Sorry for the tardy acknowledgement.

I got a response back from a source that Roger sent me. And I quote
"Hi Al,
I've seen them decades ago but no info on them.
Terry Rowe
AKHWheels.com"

Pat, I appreciate the lead. I will give that a shot.

I will keep ya'all posted on my progress or lack of.

Thanx to all

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Apr 06 Wed 10:48 pm

Roger...Thanx for the tips! I am persuing them ! !

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Apr 14 Thu 12:00 pm

Gotta say thanx to our newest member "at the beach" a.k.a. Buck Trippel who sent me a couple of photos of advertising for these wheels from the mid 60's. He also sent me a private message here

[quote="at the beach"]

Hi Al,

I'm always on the lookout for a set of CT Wheels. I have a car that ran them in 1965 and I'd like to get a set to replace them so if you run across any please let me know.

Now a little about the wheels.

The company is still in existence but it is now making bicycle parts and has moved from Hayward closer to Sacramento, CA.

Back in the day, its owner, Chuck Turner was a master machinist and came up with this auto wheel. It was advertised in hot rod and sports car racing periodicals. I have some copies of their ad - if you'd like I could email it to you. He also made wheels for carts and from time to time those have been reproduced.

Anyway race car teams found them superior to cast Halibrand magnesium wheels for racing. CTs were stronger and did not crack. They were available in a variety of bolt patterns, 5 through 7" widths and 13 through 15" diameters. Test on wheel dynos showed they ran dramatically cooler that steel wheels.

As I recall, Chuck Turner died in a plane crash and the people who took over the company were only interested in the sprocket part of his business and threw away all the molds many years ago. I got this information by tracking down the company's new location, phoned them with a "cold call" and they put me in touch with a long time employee who had retired but still remembered the company's roots. The story I've related is largely his.

If you want some J-pegs or know where I can buy some CT wheels, please email or call me.

WELCOME TO OUR FORUM BUCK! Very KOOL and thanx so much!

Al

Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Half Fast One » 2011 Apr 14 Thu 10:51 pm

I'll be damned!! Same place I suggested you call back on March 7th? Small world......

Roger.....
Half Fast One

Postby Half Fast One » 2011 Apr 14 Thu 10:55 pm

My Boo-Boo. March 26th. Duh!!!!!

Roger....
Half Fast One

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA