Stude roller cams available at a reasonable cost

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Stude roller cams available at a reasonable cost

Postby Mike » 2011 Sep 13 Tue 6:31 pm

Copied from the Studebaker Racing site -
We have Studebaker Cams Inc.

I got a call just before I left work today with a very positive deal for Studebaler Roller cams.
Here's the basics as currently layed out to me.

1. First and formost...10 (ten) cams minimum are required.
2. A deposit of $1500 will be required to start the process, the remaining $250 plus Cal. state tax will be required to be sent to me before I can pick up the cams. I will pick them all up at one time.
3. A "finished" cam will cost $400.00 (American), plus tax and shipping.
4. A "semifinished" cam will cost $230.00 (American), plus tax and shipping. Not returnable for any reason, you are on the hook for grinding and heat treat.
5. A good, sacrificial cam "will" be required for the distributor drive gear and rear bearing to be pressed into the roller blank.
6. The valve lift available will be between .450" and .550" (1.5 rocker), depending on base circle diameter capability.
7. Lobe center angles will be between 108 and 112 degrees. Possibly for you supercharged guys, if half (5 cams) agree on 114LCA, that might be doable.
8. You must come up with your own grind values. That is, the opening and closing "locations", the lift (rocker ratio required), the lobe center angle, the duration, etc. HINT...stay away from 60 year old designs...!
9. Once they have the money (thru me I guess), and things are actually started, it will take 5 to 6 weeks (roughly..!) to finish.
10. You/we are on the hook to buy our own roller lifters and pushrods. Hopefully someone has a lifter part number that's usable.
Also...I need one roller lifter to take to them to determin the minimum base circle we can use. They already have a block..!

Once we/I have ten confirmed people (hopefully more), I will get with them on a face to face, and work out how things will go from there.

I guess I'll accept the $150, cam specs. and return address's from everyone and forward it all to them.
Despite the time that has passed since I brought this up...I'm comfortable with not thinking this will turn into another Ted (manifolds) problem (I put no blame on Ted).

SO...........how many are going to stepup to the steel cam counter and put your money down ?

Please e-mail me with a confirmation.
Post questions here so we can all see them.

Mike
Mike

Re: Stude roller cams available at a reasonable cost

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Sep 14 Wed 11:04 am

Hey Mike

Thats great news! I will pass this info around to some of our local guys and see if I can generate a couple of players.

I find it amazing that they will custom grind these cams to muliple varying specifications for that kind of money. This is a bonus for the folks that are building an all out Race application.

The custom grind option is very interesting but I must admit that I do not have enough experience with the parameters of Studebaker 259/289 motors to make a qualified decision for my needs. The lifter selection will also raise some limitations.

I certainly appreciate your efforts!

Thanx

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2011 Sep 14 Wed 11:42 am

Al -

I'd be willing to bet scrounging around in a Comp Cams, Crane, et.al...catalog for a cam from an engine with similar cubic inches would be a great start. Something more up to date, Chevy, Chrys, Ford...the cam lobes don't care the brand..!

As for the lifters..just a Chrysler lifter, I'll find out the number.
The pushrods...I'll be you could figure that out without much problem.

And please, anyone interested, send me an "e-mail" at home. ocr1@earthlink.net

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Sep 19 Mon 7:02 am

I am in ...What is the timeline I have to give you specs and supply stock cam and send you loot?

Please advise and I will get the ball rolling.

Thanx...Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2011 Sep 25 Sun 8:38 am

It has started.
If you want a roller cam for your Stude, please go to the Studebaker Racing site and check out the "Time to get the lobes rolling" thread.

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Oct 12 Wed 9:22 pm

Take # 2

Mr. Mike

3 donor cams, 3 specs and 3 downpayments on the way from the Great White North early today. 2 to 3 days. Largely marked "No Signature Required". Will work on getting you the balance asap.

Thanx for your patience and for pushing the rope!

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2011 Oct 13 Thu 6:20 am

Ha..."pushing the rope"...funny !

As we spoke...there's been times when it's felt like it...!

Thanks

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2011 Oct 19 Wed 9:44 pm

The balance of the loot for the cams went in the mails today. Gotta leave here in a dog sled. But better late than never!

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA