Bent hood corners

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Bent hood corners

Postby Ratrod » 2011 Oct 21 Fri 8:55 pm

Just picked up a 54 Connie Champion in Fairbanks Alaska. First question I have is if the bent hood corners are a common problem and what is the popular method of repairing them? Thanks, Bryan Port
Bryan Port
1954 Conestoga Wagon
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ratrod

Re: Bent hood corners

Postby Mike » 2011 Oct 22 Sat 8:49 am

Hey..welcome Bryan -

Bent hood corners are found in all brands of early iron, Chevy Ford, all of them.

I'd guess the condition of the hood overall is what says how to fix it.
Unless the bends are really light, take the hood off the car. Build a pair of "saw horses" (covered in thin rubber helps hold the hood in place) to set the hood on while you work. I'd guess rock free grass also works...!
Tools, again depends on the amount of damage. From just a hammer and dolly to blocks of wood and a "C" clamp. You may have to sand some shape into the wood blocks to get the hood back into its shape before the hammer and dolly work can finish the corners to shape. Again, it just depends on the damage.
If any metal is torn it needs to be welded together "after" the proper shape has been returned. Don't leave any torn metal, the tear will continue to move just like a crack in glass.

Worst case, find a donor (munched in "other" places..) hood with good corners and remove them from the donor hood and weld them in place of your damaged hood corner(s).

Sorry I can't be more precise without seeing the damage.
Hope this helps some.

Mike
Mike

Postby Ratrod » 2011 Oct 22 Sat 10:27 am

Thanks for the reply Mike. My hood corners are bent and weak at the hinge area. After looking at some photos of other cars my year, I seem to detect others have the same exact problem. I think it might be from sticking hinges. My plan was to use some steel rod and form it into shape in the underside corners and tack it into place to give the corners some support. I was just hoping someone might have a tried and true method with these particular hoods. Thanks again Mike for taking the time to reply, Bryan
Bryan Port
1954 Conestoga Wagon
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ratrod

Postby Stu Cool » 2011 Nov 09 Wed 4:46 pm

The bent corners are a common problem, usually caused by the the hood not being pulled forward as you lift to open it. Classic Enterprises makes an "anti-kink" reinforcement for the hood corners. You can find it on their web page: http://www.classicent.com/studebaker.php

Also Studebaker International has just released their new catalog incorporating many of the parts the got from SASCO. AMong them are complete Wing windows for the Conestoga Wagons. Also complete rubber kits, or mostly complete, they are missing a few pieces. But still way better than before

Pat
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'54 Conetoga Retirement Project starting 2012
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA