what do I have?

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

what do I have?

Postby bwipf » 2012 Mar 27 Tue 9:23 pm

new to the forum, here's my story:

my great grandfathers old farmyard has a few buildings left on it, mostly full of old cars owned by my uncle's friend. behind one of the buildings theres a conestoga, so naturally i contacted the guy and asked what he needed for it, he said he was never going to get around to restoring it, and I could have it...for free... :) The best part is that this guy was a bodyman and all but the hood looks like its ready to be sandblasted and painted (he must have put a little time in it before putting it in the weeds)

So I think i've hit the motherlode??

I guess the first question I have is what year it is, so I decided to come here and ask how I determine that, is there a serial number database somewhere? It may be a year or two before I really start in on the restore, as I'm a farmer first, but I'm coming up with plans. If I get a chance I'll try to grab a couple pictures for you guys.. TIA
bwipf

Re: what do I have?

Postby Mike » 2012 Mar 28 Wed 6:31 am

Welcome TIA (real name ?) ~

What does the front end look like ?
Only two years were made, 54 and 55. The 54 looks a bit like the 54 cars (sedan specifically) with the peaked nose and two grill openings.
The 55 has a large single opening (I liken it to a basking shark nose) same as the 55 cars. The grill opening is ALL chrome and expensive to replate. This is why many choose to paint them body color.
The dash is simillar to the cars of the same years also.
The 54 is nice and smooth all the way across, the 55 has two large gauge openings with everything inside the two round clusters.
Everything else is pretty much the same on both cars.

Depending on the rust you find, these cars are worth the restoration in any form, stock, custom to hot rod.

Mike
Mike

Postby bwipf » 2012 Mar 28 Wed 9:31 pm

thanks mike, I will take that info and go check it against what i see. I was going to post a couple pictures tonight, but ran over my phone with our forklift today. I do not recommend this...

TIA= 'thanks in advance'

-bw
bwipf

Postby Mike » 2012 Mar 29 Thu 6:26 am

TIA...!?!

Ha...not acronym or phone messaging literate...!

Just do a quick search on the net for 54 and 55 Studebaker, that should show you what the cars look like.

Mike
Mike

Postby bwipf » 2012 Apr 03 Tue 9:53 pm

Here's an album with a few pictures I took today. Looks like a '54 thanks for the info. I knew they were only produced 2 years and just assumed that meant both years were identical. I guess I'm so used to modern manufacturers sticking with a design way longer than they should.
bwipf

Postby Half Fast One » 2012 Apr 04 Wed 7:24 pm

Welcome to the Conestoga Family and Hello;

Took a look at the photos and the very first thing I thought about is, "Wonder if you would be interested in selling that Conestoga emblem on the tailgate?". You will find that it is a very sought after Emblem and you will or have already been sent messages asking about it. Let us all know if you are interested in selling it. If so, let the bidding begin!! HA!!!

Not much activity on here lately but I'm sure it will pick-up soon.

Roger...
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby hi-per al » 2012 Apr 04 Wed 8:43 pm

Welcome aboard bw...

There are still a few great souls that frequent this site. Very helpful to say the least. Mr. Mike and Roger are a wealth of information.

On the "Conestoga" script this one looked pretty decent and had all the pins and sold on Ebay less than a month ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120868425011?ss ... 1532.l2649

Gives ya some sort of an idea of value.

Please share your adventure!

Again Welcome.

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby bwipf » 2012 Apr 05 Thu 8:36 am

I had gathered that the rear script was desirable from reading on this forum, but I think I will probably hang on to it. :)

Down the road I may however have a number of drivetrain components to offer if I get my dream of dropping in a Mercedes AMG power plant. That will cost me many $ though, so who knows.
bwipf

Postby Mike » 2012 Apr 05 Thu 8:37 pm

Cool...now there's a different combination...a Mercedes hot rod engine..

Hey...don't let these old crows talk you out of anything...!
Actually..it seems it's mostly the three of us that keep this place running (along with Briz the site owner!)..! Any and all are welcome though..as long as you're helping to keep these wagons running, stock, modified, or otherwise !

Anytime we can help...I'm sure we'll do our best to help.

Mike

P.s - go lightly on the sand blasting...it can actually damage/warp the metal if not done with great care.
Mike

Postby bwipf » 2012 Apr 08 Sun 2:30 pm

good tip with the sandblasting. i had noticed that the steel seemed kinda light. hand sanding might be the way to go?
bwipf

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA