Ford 9" Rear End

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Ford 9" Rear End

Postby alstude » 2012 Jun 20 Wed 3:22 pm

Has anyone had an experience installing a aFord 9" rear end in a 53, 54, or 55. If so can you provide the specifics as to what you had to do to it to install in the car. Information will be appreciated.

Thanks all
alstude

Re: Ford 9" Rear End

Postby s2dwagon » 2012 Jun 20 Wed 6:20 pm

I was thinking about doing this, at one time, seems like a Bronco rear-end had darn near the same flange to flange dimensions as the Stude. The spring perches were in the wrong location, though, but moving them isn't that big of an issue. If you go the Bronco route, look for a later model with rear discs.

Good luck,

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Mike » 2012 Jun 21 Thu 6:23 am

Simple steps -

1. Decide what wheels you will be running...for the overall axle width.
2. Narrow the housing/axles per above.
3. Measure the spring center, width.
4. Weld the spring pads on the housing per the measurement above.
5. Install the above.
6. Connect the brakes.
7. Measure for drive shaft.
8. Have your shaft modified...or have a one piece built.
9. Install the above.

See...not even ten steps..! Well...not including the jacking up and down, wheel removal...etc. ..!

Mike

P.s. - Mine isn't a Ford 9" but a Winters Quick Change....but the steps are the same.
Mike

Postby Half Fast One » 2012 Jun 26 Tue 6:40 pm

I might need to hook up 110 or 220 to a couple of paddles and place on each temple to jog my mind BUT, I bought a early Chevy II 10 bolt rear end and it matched up PURR-FI-CALLY. OK, maybe give or take 1/4 inch. Won a POSI unit and rear end rebuild. Both the Posi Mfg. and Re-builder told me it would hold up to 600HP. It will be connected to a 700R-4 and ZZ-4 Crate engine. That,s all I'll want.

Of course that's if we can get a Modified loan on our property. Foreclosure has already started. If, OR WHEN we lose the house we will need to sell off most of everything we own. Bye, bye toys, tractor, tools, etc,etc... Hello Senior Center. HA!!!

For those that are wondering about Esther and her Cancer? After 3 months of Chemo and then 2 titanium rods in her left femur and femoral head which she had to have done before having a T-Cell Transplant she is now BALD and in REMISSION. YEAH !!!!!!

Roger...
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA