Another Conestoga..!?

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Another Conestoga..!?

Postby Mike » 2012 Jun 25 Mon 9:54 am

Gonna go look at a 54 wagon next weekend (30th/1st). Seems like the guy wants a close to fair price. Got a fair amount of outer body rust and a few dings and bangs in the body tough.

One good thing, it's got all of the trim...including all THREE of the Conestoga scripts.
Bad thing...it's an I-6. I do have a low miles 259 though..if I buy it.

Like Al's...and my 59 Lark, it will turn into my daily driver as I'll put the Lark up for sale. A while back, a guy followed me home and wanted the 59 (Lark, 2dr wagon) bad. I'll see if he's still in the market to help offset the 54 cost a little.

Will let you know in a coupla weeks.

Mike
Mike

Re: Another Conestoga..!?

Postby Half Fast One » 2012 Jun 26 Tue 6:56 pm

Hi Mike;

Hum ? 3 scripts ? I'm ah'thunkin' 1 on the tailgate! 2 scripts, 1 each side behind the doors but thunk they were Champion or Commander ? My mind failing me again Mike ? Pray tell. I know the newer Conestogas had Conestoga scripts on the front fenders but cannot remember them on or where on the 54 - 55.

Later Buddy... Roger...
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby Mike » 2012 Jun 27 Wed 6:21 am

Hheeeyyyy Roger -

Long time...no hear...!
How's your wife/you doing ?

On the wagon...I do believe you are correct...no Conestoga on the upper quarter. And unfortunatly...the engine's a flathead-6..so...!
Though I do still have the low miles engine (23,000+ miles on an original eng.) and its transmission that came out of my 60 wagon, that, if I get the car, will go into it, at least for the time being. Maybe a Chevy eventually.

Mike
Mike

Postby s2dwagon » 2012 Jun 27 Wed 7:06 pm

Hey Mike,

Hope you can swing the wagon.

Roger,

Hope all works out for you and the Mrs.

---Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Half Fast One » 2012 Jun 27 Wed 8:09 pm

Hey;

We take each day as it comes. Funny how the wife gets through all the crap that she did just to get a chance that she might have the Cancer go into remission then: We find out that she has to take 1 pill a day for the next 2 years to help her maintain in remission. She took the same drug in another dose and schedule before she lost her Insurance and went on Medicare, co-pay was $70.00. Now after the Transplant we find out the 90 day supply of pills will cost $31,000.00 and her co-pay will be $4,400.00 under Medicare and Rx. Supplement. Hum, we are now living off Social Security benefits and a small retirement totaling after taxes about $3,000.00 a month. I'll do the math for you real quick $9,000.00 income for 3 months minus $4,400.00 for 1 prescription equals $4,600.00 or $1,533.33 a month for us to live on. I will spare you all the other cost. Like I've said before. "It could be worse." HA!!!

What happened to those "Golden Years" we had planned for?

Later, Roger...
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby Mike » 2012 Jul 01 Sun 12:49 pm

Well...looks like I bought 54 Conestoga part II.
It's basically just like my first 54...flat head, three speed/overdrive....rust...!
He did do a pretty good job of describing it over the phone, though I noticed a few things he haden't seen...!

Actually, the rust (what I can see)... doesn't look "too" bad. The front fenders, the rear quarter on the right side, a fist sized hole in the floor right next to the aluminum door sill plate. The right front fender has a strange dent (for lack of better words !) at the arch of the opening. Might just be easier to find another fender than try to fix it. The right quarter also has an odd dent in it. Liiks like someone was leaning hard on it and pushed it in right at the scollop. "Maybe..." it's just push out...I'm never that luckly. A few other smaller dents and dings. Most of the important chrome/stainless is there and in reasonably decient condition. I need to get another bumper guard for around the licsence plate. One side molding (the wide version) needs fixing or repalcement. I think I may have one.

The engine was rebuilt last year...He showed me the reciepts...but they did a "really bad" job if it. A (large !) puff of blue smoke came out the new tail pipe when he started it. Most of the valves "needed" adjusting. It made some noises...that it really shouldn't make for a new engine. Apparently, the overdrive works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. He says he's been thru it trying to fix it.

Looking at the frame as far as I could see...the four corners looked unharmed.

The wipers work..the gages work, the car didn't have a heater or defroster. He's put a heater and a defroster motor in it, but the defroster has no duct work. New tires...didn't ask about the brakes (!?!), new tail pipe from the head pipe to the bumper.

The tailgate, Conestoga script is there and fairly decient.
The script on the quarters...........I've never seen the likes of them..in a small script, it says "Studebaker"...! It's on a strange straight line "plate" or background for lack of better words. It is a one piece casting. The background is just straight lines from one end to the other.

Anyway, looks like I'll pick it up next weekend...now I've got a ton of work to do collecting parts and pieces to install the low miles 259 out of my 60 wagon. More cylinder head work to do...!

So....at some point in time...my 59 Lark, 2dr. wagon will be up for sale...12+ years is plenty long for one daily driver.

Later for now.

Mike
Mike

Postby Mike » 2012 Jul 01 Sun 12:58 pm

Roger -

Yea, the money end of things really suck. I've had a little insurance deals a few months ago.. Don't we spend a big chunk of our pay-checks for "insurance" so we don't have to pay the doctors/hospitals later...? I still had to pay a good bit "after" the insurance paid their paltry sum.

At least everyone's still alive and kicken.

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2012 Jul 03 Tue 9:49 pm

Hey Mr. Mike ...Congrats on the new find. Man it sounds a lot more sound than what I started with my Connie. Damn that was an Oregon car that spent most of its life in Nor Cal. And after she got undressed there were a lot of wrinkles, cuts and bruises as well as some rust. But it is all part of the adventure.

On the healthcare thing...We are blessed with Government healthcare. It sorta works if you are lucky, dont fall through the cracks, are prepared to live with way extended wait times, and it also helps if you multilingual. What it comes down to is the old adage " You get what you pay for!" Getting Old here sucks! Thats enuff of the soap box.

If you were closer I would be all over your 59 like ugly on an ape. I have a tendency to get sidetracked. Almost 1800 Km. last weekend to pick up some cams. What a trip.

I will look around and see if I have a decent plate surround. Will let you know.

Again ...Congrats

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA