Light blue 54 wagon, part II

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Re: Light blue 54 wagon, part II

Postby Mike » 2012 Jul 30 Mon 6:39 am

On the 200-4R, I have two already for my other two cars. The white Lark with the Vette front suspension (550hp small block Chevy), and my other 54 wagon #I.
Both of those transmssions were built by a guy I know that builds "only" race 200's, the 3 speed version. They both have trans. brakes in them also. I know they'll hold up.

As for Art Carr, I may give one of his a try later down the road a piece...or if the stock one I have breaks..! Though I have ordered a bunch of goodies from Carr last week for this car.
Scott (Scott McClay Engineering) started building long before Art Carr (or anyone else, at least on the West Coast) started his 200's, though just for own dragster. He's got (3spd.) 200's in 8 sec., NHRA Super Stockers.

The Buick Grand National transmissions were originally a bit different inside than the run of the mill 200-4R's...but yea, the East Coast guys flog'em pretty good in their Buicks.

Roger wrote -
Find out if they have 2 sets of those end covers or a extra driver side

They who..?
I assume you're talking about the gage cluster closeouts..? I'm looking for a set...and have no idea where to go to find them...other than someones stash pile..!

Later all

Mike
Mike

Postby Mike » 2012 Aug 13 Mon 6:01 pm

Well...a long time Stude owner called me a few weeks back and offered me an unusual find. I had told him I was gonna send the Dana 44 out of another car to Currie Enterprises for a full makeover.
He told me he had just picked up a Dana 44 axle that had a slightly different casting and a big "N" cast into the front of the casting. I told him this "normally" indicated that the iron used is of the "nodular" variety...!
That is, the iron is a bit tuffer than normal cast iron. The graphite is spread around the iron in a slightly different shape and manor.

Anyway, he brought it by. I've stripped it to get it ready to take to Currie next week. It's got a 3.92 to 1 gear ratio. Pretty good for around town, but a hand full on the freeway. I know, I had the same basic ratio in my first car (56 Chevy, 210 2dr.) for about two years.
But...with the 200-4R's overdrive, it should go back to a more freeway friendly final ratio in 4th gear.

I spent part of this last weekend measuring everything to with the stock axle and body. With a narrowing of the axle and the right offset wheels, I should be able to get a 7" wide wheel with a 225-70 or 75 tire, with a nice looking, deep wheel (Weld DragLites).
Now I gotta check the front. I think I can use a 7" front also, but with...basically an opposite wheel offset.

I don't have much for this swap, so I've been buying parts like crazy. Even to the point of a secondary wire harness for the high power needs of accessories I'll be using (fuel pump, electric fan (first try !?), high powered headlights, etc. A high powered alternator is a must for all of this power need too.

I think I've decided to just rip and tear everything out and start over, rather than take one item out and replace, take another item out and replace. There really isn't much to the factory wire harness...so I think I've been overly concerned for nuthing. I've got a wiring diagram and (hopefully..), a correctly colored, new wire harness..!

So........if anyones in the So Cal. area, and wants a freashly covered front seat (blue and blue), a year old engine (170, flat head), a good working three speed with overdrive.....let me know.
Sorry, no shipping.

All for now..

Mike
Mike

Postby Mike » 2012 Aug 20 Mon 6:32 am

Took a Dana 44 into Currie Ent. (So. Cal.) for a complete redo.
Interesting housing...a friend gave it to me, it has a coupla "extra" ribs cast into it and a big "N" in the front. Normally, this big N indicates a Nodular iron case in Ford language. Not positive, but I assume it's the same for the Dana.

Shorten 4", Eaton posi, Ford disc brakes, new axles, bearings. The ring and pinion is 50-50. It's now a 3.93, though it looks "ok..", they'll make the decision weather to swap it for a new 3.73 set....yea, I know which way that'll go...!

Should be done in about two weeks.

Mike
Mike

Previous

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA