My 54 is on its way, (updated 10.24)

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Re: My 54 is on its way, (updated 04.26)

Postby Mike » 2015 Apr 26 Sun 5:41 pm

I've wondered about this for a LONG time...
I bought a new, with the largest dial and 270 degree sweep, I could find, compression gauge to do this experiment.

I won't bore you with the fact that some surgery had to be performed to get the starter to seat properly..! If you have a Stude to GM adapter...do this BEFORE you put the engine in the car..!

Anyway, I installed the adjustable cam drive into my almost stock shortblock, with the cam in the OEM location, about 4 degree retarded.
This afternoon I was finally able to check the cylinder pressure. Now we all know how "exact" compression gauges are...right..!?
For the test , no carburetor, no spark plugs, unbroken-in rings, gauge in cylinder #1, new fresh battery.
Each test done twice.

Stock cam location (4 degrees retarded) - 156 PSI
2 degrees advanced - 158+ PSI
4 degrees advanced - 158 PSI
2 degrees retarded - 156 PSI

Basically I figured this was pretty good, since I did some chamber work in the heads and gained some cc's / dropped the static compression ratio some. To help gain a little back, .030" was removed from the head deck. I also used a set of Total Seal rings, which I figured pumped things up a tad.
But as you can see, overall moving the stock 1960 Lark, 2 barrel cam shaft around...didn't do anything to the cylinder pressure.

So...just because...the cam is now is 2 degrees advanced from stock, the drive is all back together and ready for the water pump manifold to be put back in place.

Now on to the task of wiring the whole car.

Mike
Mike

Re: My 54 is on its way, (updated 05.03)

Postby Mike » 2015 May 03 Sun 7:04 pm

Finally got the front of the engine back together. Also did a bunch of "final" assembling from "test" assembling things. The exhaust manifolds are permanent (after opening the gaskets to match the heads !), the water manifold is now permanent along with the thermostat and housing. The alternator was double checked to verify the alignment and it's brackets tightened. And the carburetor is back on...with gaskets this time.

Now onto finishing the master cylinder bracket mounting and one brake line, before tackling the electronics.

Mike
Mike

Re: My 54 is on its way, (updated 05.25)

Postby Mike » 2015 May 25 Mon 7:33 pm

Well...it's the small things that count.
I didn't put the trans. kickdown cable in the trans. "before installing the trans., because I was afraid of crushing or pinching it, being that I was installing the engine and trans., as an assembly, and by myself.
So, some time later...I realized that may have been a mistake...

One of my desires for this weekend was to get the cable in the transmission. Along with some bike work, some yard work, and the Stude show at the La Palma park, and watching some various racing on TV.
Well this afternoon, I got out there, jacked the car up and started fiddling with it. On one hand, it wasn't "quite" as tough as I figured, but it still wasn't an easy task...but it's DONE...and it works !

Also finished bolting the converter to the flexplate..a simple but incomplete task.

Gotta start getting more done or it never will get there...!

Mike
Mike

Re: My 54 is on its way, (updated 05.31)

Postby Mike » 2015 May 31 Sun 8:06 pm

Well, as hard as I tried, I could not get the GM dipstick tube into the trans., and up the firewall into place. Needs two completely different bends than the stock GM tube has.
Now I see why I've seen so many Lokar assemblies in GM powered Studes..! Calling Summit tomorrow..!

Also did a lot of cleaning and de-rusting of parts yet to go back in place.

Mike
Mike

Re: My 54 is on its way, (updated 06.03)

Postby Mike » 2015 Jun 03 Wed 8:40 am

By the (friendly) wise guy comments of a friend, I now have a "titanium" hood prop. rod to hold my hood up..!
This is the same friend that his comments lead to my buying and installing the Quick Change rear axle in my "blue" car .

He seems to spend a lot of my money for me...

MIke
Mike

Re: My 54 is on its way, (updated 06.08)

Postby Mike » 2015 Jun 08 Mon 5:47 am

Got a coupla things done this weekend.
Finally finished the master cylinder bracket and mounted it. I didn't put the cylinder on yet because of other things, but all is ready to go.
I put the Lokar dipstick tube in. Had to pull the trans. pan to do it, but that wasn't a big deal. Gave me the change to see what was inside after the "break-in" at Art Carr's shop. Pretty clean for a new trans. with a good break-in run.
Pretty much decided where to put the hand brake handle. Between the door and seat. Plenty of room. I didn't finish that because I wasn't sure about the location, but that's pretty much the only place left on the floor.
I spent some time using my new half round "vixen" file on the hood welds. Starting to look pretty good. A "no bondo" (maybe just a little) hood scoop...love-it.

2 more brake lines, run the lines for the reservoirs to the cylinder, and tighten everything and "hopefully..." bleed them next weekend.

Mike
Mike

Re: My 54 is on its way, (updated 07.27)

Postby Mike » 2015 Jul 27 Mon 5:48 am

Have been doing some work on the 299 for my blue car. Waiting for a part or two so I can finish "fitting" parts to begin the final assembly...so, back to the "driver" wagon.

Finally got the Wilwood dual cylinder master cylinder on. Had to do some fiddling to make the pedal linkage a "no bind" action through it's travel. Got that done. Made the last of the front and rear brake lines and got them in place. Did some more cleaning along the way.
Now I have to remake the fluid feeder lines from the reservoirs to the cylinder. I made a pair a while back...but decided I don't like their route to the master cylinder.

Did some bike work too. Replaced the OEM, ECM with an adjustable one, along with a computer program to be able to alter the mapping. The provided mapping allows me to remove the "second" muffler from the bike. TWO freaken mufflers on a motorcycle..! Anyway, got all that done, took the bike for a drive yesterday to see how the provided mapping works. A "little" louder, not too bad, a LOT cleaner through most of the rpm range. A full day, half at 75/80mph and the other half splitting lanes in 20/40 mph freeway traffic tomorrow before I start screwing with the current maps. I'll probably drive it all week to see what the idiosyncrasies are before I start making any changes. Been waiting for this ECM since I bought the bike, the end of April.

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2015 Aug 09 Sun 12:20 pm

Nothing like plumbing to test you. Looks great until you make and discover that there are improvements to be made.

Whose ECM did ya get for the BUELL?
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2015 Aug 11 Tue 5:28 am

Hey Al -

It's not the hydraulic plumbing that's testing me...it's the electrical plumbing that's "gonna" test me..!
And yea, redid a coupla things along the way..!

A company called IDS (Intelligent Design Solutions). They apparently were part of the original Buell (latest models) ECM design group. They have a hand full of ECM's to choose from. I got the "adjustabe" version...the most expensive..! In its, as delivered state, it's not bad, much better than the OEM version. It's tuned to have the second muffler removed. Yea..."two" freaken mufflers..! Still needs some work in the lower rpm range, but above about 4500/4700 to redline, it's not bad. Me thinks it could still use some additional ignition timing through out though.
Put a new set of tires on it already... Sport bike tires don't last worth a ****.

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2015 Aug 14 Fri 6:48 am

4500 to Redline and you are lamenting about tire life? Sounds like you are riding the wheels of of that girl! 8) 8)
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

PreviousNext

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA