My 54 Conestoga project

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Re: My 54 Conestoga project

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Jan 18 Fri 5:54 pm

DSCN2132.jpg
Motor and trans came out this afternoon. Did not take long and was much easier than pulling the V8 out of the cruiser
DSCN2132.jpg (147.93 KiB) Viewed 22311 times

DSCN2134.jpg
Much more gunk and dirt to be cleaned is revealed!
DSCN2134.jpg (155.6 KiB) Viewed 22309 times

DSCN2131.jpg
Here the motor and trans wait to be picked up by its new owner. Lots of gunk for him to clean off too!
DSCN2131.jpg (129.28 KiB) Viewed 22305 times
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'54 Conetoga Retirement Project starting 2012
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Jan 31 Thu 9:03 pm

No pictures today, but earlier this week I did pull the gas tank and rear end out. I am amazed that there was a substantial amount of very stale gas still in the tank. Of course I managed to spill some on the floor and now the garage really stinks.

Pat
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Feb 05 Tue 6:00 pm

Still no pictures, but the Dana 27 from the wagon is now bolted under the Cruiser, and the Cruiser TT Dana 44, 3.31 is ready for clean up and paint. I think I will change the lube and put new gaskets and pinion seal while it is out and easy to work on. Next step is to pull the front suspension off the Conestoga.
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Apr 16 Tue 4:38 pm

Well I finally got back to work on the wagon. I have been doing projects on my red car and around the house. Today I removed the control arms and spindles so I can put them on the donor Cruiser when I pull the suspension off of that. Next I will remove the steering pieces. All of this is in preparation for cleaning the front part of the frame and painting it before putting it back together.

Pat
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Mike » 2013 Apr 17 Wed 6:07 am

Yea...fun job. Mines down to bare metal, been that way for a few weeks now..! Like you, mostly working on the other cars.
I do find it odd, for as easy/bad as Studes rust, all of the underhood sheet metal is bare, but thru at least 6 weeks now...and two rains, there's no sighting of "any" rust forming on the sheet metal...!? I really don't understand. There's light rust on various areas of the frame..
Yea, I do have one of those white "tents" over the car (Not inclosed)...but it's seen better days and leaks, time for a new cover.

One of these weekends....I'll get some paint on everything and get a steering box back in place. Got a clean Saganaw box...just no mast/cover yet. I guess the Ross mast will have to do for now.

Mike
Mike

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Apr 19 Fri 2:56 pm

DSCN2252.JPG
Got the rest of the steering removed and scraped some more gunk. Still some clean up to do then paint time.
DSCN2252.JPG (144.06 KiB) Viewed 22184 times

I have a guy coming tomorrow to get a couple fenders and maybe some other stuff off my parts car. Then next week I will strip the front suspension from that and I will call it done and can haul it out to a friends farm for people to pick its bones for whatever else might be useful.

Pat
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Jul 29 Mon 3:48 pm

Believe it or not I actually worked on my Conestoga today! Removed the overload leaf from the springs and put the Dana 44 in place. I need a new through bolt for one of the spring packs before I can finish though. Will pack that up tomorrow when I am in town.

Pat
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Mike » 2013 Jul 30 Tue 5:46 am

Congratulations....!

I'm almost done with my dash stuff. Got the throttle pedal mount done and welded on...ruined the firewall paint..! Now to remove the stock heater, plug the hole and put the pass. seat in is my next goal..
The wiring will come later...

If you are going to run a Stude engine...you know the motor mount brackets are the same...right ?! Just do a mirror image of the mount holes, redrill the frame to bracket holes, swap sides and your done.

MIke
Mike

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Jul 30 Tue 8:45 am

Thanks for the tip on the motor mounts, I will check that out. I will also be removing all the stock heater pieces. Not sure what I will do for gauges at this point, still contemplating dash options.

Pat
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Jul 31 Wed 5:21 pm

Got the new bolts and nuts, cut them to length and assembled the springs. Put the 44 in place and got everything bolted together. Carried 8 tires, with 6 wheels to my friend Mel's shop and used his tire machine to get 4 tires that will at least hold air. Installed two on the rear then used my floor jack under the front and rolled it out under the car port. Tomorrow I will go after the front frame with the pressure washer and wire brush to get it ready for paint. I picked up some good chassis paint from Eastwood that should meet my needs.
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

PreviousNext

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA