For those with an incomplete 54, 55 wagon

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

For those with an incomplete 54, 55 wagon

Postby Mike » 2013 Jan 31 Thu 8:43 pm

See the February, 2013 Turning Wheels, page 34........

NEW (reproduction) Conestoga script, pn - 305795W- $60.00.
Thru Studebaker International

Mike
Mike

Re: For those with an incomplete 54, 55 wagon

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Jan 31 Thu 8:59 pm

Wow, How cool is that! Do you know if they also have the small Studebaker script for the belt line? I have wondered if they may use something from other cars.
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'54 Conetoga Retirement Project starting 2012
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby Mike » 2013 Jan 31 Thu 11:51 pm

Hey Pat -

As far as I've seen except for my newer 54, all the wagons I've seen (including photos) had the "Conestoga" script also at the beltline, for a total of three places. The wagon I'm working on now is the first one that had Studebaker on the side of the car. And it does appear to be factory placed.

Per the "Studebaker" on my car...yea, they have it in their catalog. I think is marked as a 51 (I think) emblem. I'll look tomorrow..

Mike
Mike

Postby s2dwagon » 2013 Feb 01 Fri 9:56 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the conestoga script on the belt-line? Mine is a flat window 55 and the only place the "Conestoga" script appears is on the tail gate. It does, however have the "Commander" script below the belt-line just under the rear slider. Anyway, I'd like to see what the "Conestoga" script on the belt-line looks like. Maybe mine's missing something.

I have been toying with the idea removing all of the trim along the belt-line, welding up the holes where the script attaches, smothing things out, and having all of the beltline, medalions, and script, painted (faux) along the car with drop shadowing, reflections, etc. so it would look like molding but is just illusion. I've seen it done before and it kind of looks cool/clean.

Your thoughts?

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Mike » 2013 Feb 02 Sat 10:38 am

Scott -

I forgot all about the Champian and Commander scripts..! And my 55 wagon even has the Commander script on it.. They are all in "about" the same place on the fender (and tailgate). Like my Studebaker (2nd car) script, it's very close to the belt line stainless. I've seen some that was almost 2" away from the trim. Don't know why, except that maybe there was no actual tooling that either punched the holes or that provided locations to be drilled by hand. Just left up to the installer where to put them.
I've never seen pictures or cars with both the Studebaker AND the Conestoga scripts on them.

Another oddity, my first wagon, my avitar here, it doesn't have the script on the tailgate or fenders. I do know the tailgate never had any holes in it for the script. Two reasons for this, 1. it never got the script, or 2. it's a replacment tailgate.
I haven't had the interior side panels off to see if the quarter panels are a script virgin too, or the holes are filled.

Mike
Mike

Postby Stu Cool » 2013 Feb 02 Sat 1:19 pm

DSCN2156.jpg
Here you can see where the Studebaker Script clearly was on mine. The size matches very closely with the gold script on the C pillar of my friends '53 coupe.
DSCN2156.jpg (104.25 KiB) Viewed 26600 times
Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
'54 Conetoga Retirement Project starting 2012
'53 Custom Starlight
Stu Cool

Postby s2dwagon » 2013 Feb 02 Sat 4:43 pm

Thanks for the picture!

That is exactly where mine has the "Commander" script, under the stainless, right under the rear slider windows.

One thing I have been told, but haven't had the opportunity to verify, is that the scripts for the Connies, that are installed in this location, are indeed different than the script for the other models, even though they may look the same and the faunt is identicle. The difference being, the Conestoga's script(s) in this location, are made with the correct curvature on the backside to mirror the curvature of the rear quarters of the wagons in that location. That's what I've heard, anyway. I'd like to know if anyone has had the opportunity to check that out.

--Scott
s2dwagon

Postby hi-per al » 2013 Feb 05 Tue 10:01 pm

Mr. Mike...Thanx for the Heads up. As you know I spent a long time finding the oga for my Conest. ebay was good to me and I found a couple. One was NOS in packageing from Alabama and ended up costing me $45.00 freight to the great white north included. If these were available at the time I would have gladly paid the $60.

Scott...The Commander scripts on my 55 look just like the car ones unless I am not picking up what you are putting down.
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2014 Jan 14 Tue 6:55 am

Beware....

A coupla weeks ago, I bought a few things from Stude Int. I asked about the Conestoga script (didn't recall the part number) and was told that she "didn't think there was such a thing"...!

Then...I remembered this post. I called back the other day WITH part number in hand. This time, the comment was, "why yes, I do believe we do have those in stock", (different person).
Got two of'em last night.
Nice.

Mike
Mike

Postby s2dwagon » 2014 Jan 15 Wed 6:40 pm

Hey Mike,

How do they look for a repop?

--Scott
s2dwagon

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA