Headliner Installation

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Headliner Installation

Postby s2dwagon » 2013 Nov 17 Sun 9:49 am

I've been reading, on the SDC site, about how Dick Steinkamp is planning on replacing his headliner on a Wagonaire he's working on. Beautiful looking car, I must say. I'll soon be needing to install one in my wagon, after I spray the inside with a rubberized coating to help with noise and give a little bit of insulation (R-value).

I am curious if any of you on the forum have replaced your headliners and how you went about it.

--Scott
s2dwagon

Re: Headliner Installation

Postby Mike » 2013 Nov 18 Mon 7:08 am

Na, not me. That's one of the things I leave to the experts. I know the basics, but getting everything wrinkle free and the windlace in right...!?
I've seen "home done" headliners, not good, and not even wagon headliners..!

The Dynamat or some other sound deadener is a good idea though.

Mike
Mike

Postby Half Fast One » 2013 Nov 23 Sat 1:23 am

Yep, I have seen the results of others that have replaced their headliner and have not used proper sound deadening materials, etc, etc, or did not prep it properly. It was embarrassing and very hard not to laugh out load. I have also heard that the Dynamat works, BUT, I'm sure if it started falling the Company would surely say it was because YOU did not apply it correctly, blah, blah. Use the spray? Probably get the same response from that Company.

As Clint E. once said. " Do you feel lucky? "

I have done Interiors before with the blessings and help of some very good friends in the business and all have come out well enough. I have never added any sound deadening up there myself, again because of my friends in the business advice. I would always leave that to someone in the business who had Insurance.

Roger...
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby Mike » 2013 Nov 23 Sat 11:21 am

Hmm...headliner wise, like I said, not me..!
But sound deadener..done correctly..sure. I receintly put Dynamat in my "to be driver 54" on the firewall/floor and other small assorted areas near the floor. I'll tell you what...as long as the surface is clean and dry....once down...it ISN'T comming back off...no matter how hard you try. With solvents, with a knife, a scraper... It comes off in tiny little chuncks. I finally decided to just let the Butyl (Dynamat) fill the small hole...it "isn't" going to leak..!

Just my recient experience.

Mike
Mike

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA