Help with my 55 Conestoga

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Help with my 55 Conestoga

Postby sjensen49 » 2013 Dec 09 Mon 2:23 am

Hi, I am rewiring my 55 Champion Conestoga trying to get it roadworthy. It has the wrap around windshield. On the left of the steering wheel next to the speedo are holes for 3 switches. The top hole is empty. The next two are the headlights and wipers. I am trying to find out what was supposed to be in that top hole. Obviously I am missing something. Can you help?

Also, I am assuming from the parts catalog and from the Studebaker International catalog it appears the 55 Conestoga with wrap around windshield had a headlight switch that incorporated the instrument panel lights in the same switch. Am I correct, or is that upper hole actually the instrument light switch hole?

The other side of the steering column has 3 switches (from top to bottom: air, defrost and ignition switch. Is the air switch actually the heater motor?)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Steve
sjensen49
sjensen49

Re: Help with my 55 Conestoga

Postby Mike » 2013 Dec 09 Mon 7:26 am

I've got a 55 Commander. I'll check when I get home, let you know.

Mike
Mike

Postby s2dwagon » 2013 Dec 09 Mon 9:56 pm

The only 55 I have with the wrap-around windshield is a 55 President State Sedan and from top to bottom on the left it goes, Fog, Lights, and Wiper. Your wagon may be different because it might not have have fog lights. Hope this might help, though.

--Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Mike » 2013 Dec 10 Tue 6:38 am

Mine is - left side (next to the windshield)

Plugged (the chrome metal plugs that Stude used)
Lights
Wiper

Sorry, I know that's not what you are looking for. This is a non-messed with, all original car that's been sitting at least 40 years. Unfortunatly with the windows...down..!

So, per Scott, it looks like "Fog light" switch gets the nod.

Mike
Mike

Postby sjensen49 » 2013 Dec 14 Sat 3:15 pm

Thanks Guys, I am inclined to agree. Just pulled the wiring harness and there is nothing going up there, meaning no wiring, cables or etc. Must be a port for fog lights, which I do not have on this baby.

Another question.... The wiper switch.... All it is is what looks like a cable or tubing going up to the wiper motor. Not electric so must be a vacuum wiper set up, huh? Switch looks like a "T", nothing else there. Where does the vacuum to the wipers come from? Manifold?

Anyone got a decent plug for that hole on my dash where there is nothing?
Steve
sjensen49

Postby Mike » 2013 Dec 15 Sun 10:11 am

Steve -

On one hand yes, the vacuum can come from the manifold or the carburetor base.

On the other hand, if you plan on actually driving your wagon, I'd pick up an electric motor/switch and put that on. If you are running 6 volts, it should be easy to come up with. Or, if yove gone to 12 volts, most any Stude wiper motor will work. I'm in the middle of changing mine over and I used a later Lark motor. The 6v motor sat parallel to the pinchweld on the firewall. The 12v motor sits at a slight angle and "looks" like it hits the firewall...it doesn't.
I'd imagine that the actual wiper linkage is the same with either power.

The wire harness is simple, it's almost all in the switch. Just hook the motors harness into the switch and then you just need a single power wire from the ignition switches "on" position post.
Don't worry about not having "stock" wiring....it's seperate, that way from the factory..! A lot of things are like "add-on's" to the Stude main harness.
I have two, brand new complete factory copied harness that I was going to use, but because of what I found the way the factory harness is so "scabbed onto" so much, I decided to not use my expensive new harnesses and to run an aftermarket, real fuse box and harness in both of my 54's.
So....if you're thinking of a new harness, I have two to choose from if you're interested...!

Mike

P.s. - Just to finish off your dashboard and have it look "clean", you can put another switch in the blank hole and use it for something else. Electric fuel pump, backup lights, a secret cutoff for the ignition switch....
Mike

Postby malik378 » 2014 Jan 16 Thu 12:07 am

Good to have new members. As you might imagin, because of the content...Conestogas..!, it somewhat slow around here. But there is a few members that checkin semiregularly. I normally checkin on a regular basis.
malik378

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA