what wheels & rubber are ya run'n?

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

what wheels & rubber are ya run'n?

Postby BRIZ » 2004 Dec 19 Sun 2:46 am

i've been look'n for some 15" wheels and a buddy of my dad just gave me a set of stock wheels off his 56 hawk. they look kind'a deep but i hope they fit with the skirts on.

so anyway... just would like to know what size of tires you are all run'n.
BRIZ
Site Admin

Postby Mike » 2004 Dec 19 Sun 11:47 am

I've got 205/70x15 in the front. They're kinda tall. With the disc brake install and the Halibrand (copy) wheel, it puts the tire/wheel kinda close to the fender lip. I may try a 205/60 and see what that looks like. I've got a set on my 2dr wagon 60 Lark.

The rear's got 235/70x15 on a Halibrand (alum. copy) wheel. I was going to go to the 255/70 but chickened out. Now I see that there "is" room for a 29"dia, 11" cross section tire though, like the 255/70. The 235 is 28"tall with a 7 3/4" tread, about 10" cross section. The wheel is 8 1/2" wide.
I picked up a real (magnesium) pair of Halibrands to mount a set of Cokers old (looking) slicks.

I've cheated a little though. You can't put that tire inside that fender with the stock leaf spring in place. I've put a Winters Quick Change axle with coilover shocks. That opened up the whole stock wheel tub for tire.

A lot of trial and error but now that it's bout done, I'm glad I did it.

Well, just started it after 6 mo. or so of rear end swap time. Let it run a while to help break (?) in all the gears and bed in at least the rear brake pads. And yes, the gears are noisy!
Cool.....
Mike

cool!

Postby BRIZ » 2004 Dec 22 Wed 4:42 am

thanks, mike!
i was dig'n in dad's barn and found the original wheels and hubcaps! think i'm going to put those on for a while with some fresh rubber. 205/70x15 & 235/70x15 sound good. IF they fit with the skirts....

i dropped her off today at the glass shop. i'll be clean'n up the cap & wheels in the meantime.

mike! send me yo photo and info for the registry page!

webmaster@conestoga.brizbomb.com

thanks
BRIZ
Site Admin

stock wheels with new radials

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Jan 01 Sat 10:30 am

I read that the old '54 wheels will begin cracking in the centers, using radial rubber, :shock: as these rims were not as strong as later Ford type 5 1/2" wheels (Avanti style).

You may want to be careful cornering as the radials are stickier and have a lower slip angle than the original equipment bias belted tires. Also later rims were made of thicker metal. :?

This problem is exasperated by the use of wild eng/trans combos, sway bars, and higher speeds. :cry:

This should not be a problem for those who have original cars with original eng/trans and bias belted tires. 8)

Good luck...
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

new tires!

Postby BRIZ » 2005 Feb 27 Sun 8:23 pm

so i found the original wheels and caps in dads barn and this week i mount & balanced new tires. Pirelli P215/70R-15 in back and P185/65R-15 in front. man... drives great now! kinda small i know but the skirts fit! more on skirts later with photo....

thanks for your guys help!
BRIZ
Site Admin

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA