Oil pan fix

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Oil pan fix

Postby Mike » 2014 Nov 03 Mon 7:48 am

OR...another use for...bodyworking "nail" welders.

One thing that I occasionally look at as an onlooker at car shows, when a nice older car drives up, etc., is the underside of the car when possible. Or...when I work on someones car. One of my pet peeves is a trashed/crushed oil pan bottom.
While doing the engine for my 54 wagon..daily driver, I spent a fair amount of time hammering the pan bottom smooth again, like it was from the factory. ONLY to trash it again while putting the engine/trans. into the car..! The steering arms can do a good job of this. I realized a "bit" too late that a slight turn of the freaking steering wheel may have prevented the pan damage..but alas it's done.
So...how do I fix it ?

I tried the suction cup I used to pull a large dent from the side of the body. It worked great for that purpose, but the pan has too many little "things" and maybe too large a diameter suction cup keeping it from helping create any suction.

Ok...how bout another body tool, a nailwelding gun and slide hammer...!?
A (sort-of) cheap Harbor Freight nail welder AND short slide hammer worked great. A few well placed nails a few whacks with the slide hammer..."almost" as good as new.
So there you have it...dents in your oil pan...body working tools can be your friend.

Another reason for a "properly" placed oil pan bottom...is oil delivery. Most oil pump pickups are about 1/4" to 1/2" from the oil pan bottom. Having this clearance reduced by (the steering) tire stops, curbs, big rocks, etc., "can" be detrimental to your engine.

Mike
Mike

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA