Swedish Conestoga Champion, -54

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Swedish Conestoga Champion, -54

Postby Stefan » 2014 Dec 22 Mon 7:59 am

I just came from the Swedish motor vehicle inspection and passed with flying colors. Notice the sad rear reflectors that I had to add to make it through though.

I found this car 14 months ago, in a barn! It has been standing there for seven years, imported from the US but left for lack of time on the original purchaser. I've serviced her lightly (cleaned the gas tank, circuit breakers and the sparkplugs) and have been driving her as my primary vehicle since.

She's from 1954, 63 000 miles with original power train. Not a hitch!

I recently got hold of some chromed bumper guards that completed the front nicely for me. Hoping to source the Studebaker-emblem that's missing from the rear hatch, here on the forums. If you have, or know someone who does, please let me know!

Attachments
ULF_9138.JPG
ULF_9138.JPG (236.48 KiB) Viewed 22842 times
ULF_9137.JPG
ULF_9137.JPG (173.4 KiB) Viewed 22842 times
ULF_9136.JPG
ULF_9136.JPG (277.78 KiB) Viewed 22842 times
Stefan

Re: Swedish Conestoga Champion, -54

Postby Mike » 2014 Dec 22 Mon 4:04 pm

Welcome Stefan -

Overall, not bad looking.
You say you'r driving it every day, future...is this going to be you daily driver ? As you may have seen, I'm also building one of my two into a daily driver (should be out there right now..!).

As for the "Conestoga" script, Studebaker International has them in stock. I know that had a "few" and there's not many of us out there..! They probably won't understand just asking for the script, So here's the part number to ask for - 305795W. Last I heard, they were $60.00 . I bought two about a year ago at that price.

Have fun and keep us posted with any updates you do to your "new" car.

Mike
Mike

Postby Stefan » 2014 Dec 23 Tue 3:13 am

Hey!

Thank you so much for that link (and part number!). I had no idea there was part shops still out there for these machines. Failure of imagination I guess. I'll go through their catalogues and see what else I can pick up. That was incredibly helpful!

Another fun discovery now that I've registered here - you actually have my exact car in the gallery! Page 6, 54 Conestoga.

I would love to piece together its history. Do you know anything about who submitted those photos or what s/he wrote about it back then?

The photos show the vehicle identification number (G930811) and plate numbers (22385) model number (15G-D5, 1969). I'm guessing I still need the state to be able to get any information from the DMV?
Stefan

Postby Stefan » 2014 Dec 23 Tue 3:37 am

As for driving it every day it's been without problems. The lights are a bit weak for the dark Swedish winter, and lack of seatbelts is less than ideal. But my favorite part of the day is going out to the car, saying "if you don't start, I'm not going to work today". So far, I have had to work every day. hahaha

My wife isn't as excited about this car, but she gets around in her own childhood dream - a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500, Skyliner. It's a bit much for everyday driving I feel. :)
Stefan

Postby Mike » 2015 Jan 01 Thu 9:58 am

You can crank up the headlight problem by switching to a 12volt system.
Both my wagons will be 12 volt. The "driver wagon I'm rebuilding now already has mostly 12v parts in it. Once it's ready to start, it will be on 12 volts.

Mike
Mike

Postby Nick Wilson » 2015 Jan 13 Tue 3:02 pm

Congratulations hope you enjoy driving your Stude.
Nick Wilson

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA