Parts for 55 commander wagon

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Parts for 55 commander wagon

Postby Metroman » 2015 Jul 04 Sat 1:49 am

Hi there I currently restoring from the ground up a 55 New Zealand assembled right hand drive conestoga champion, my aim is to convert this back to a left hand drive so I'm looking for a few parts such as left hand drive dash, steering column with auto shifter and if there is a difference between a Champion dash and Commander dash then my preference would be Commander. I am new to this so any advice would be much appreciated. We are putting in a 289 Auto transmission and if we can source a power steering kit which I know was in the Commander and not the Champion.

Any advice for good places to find body parts would also be appreciated.

We are at the point of starting the body work and should have the it remounted on the chassis within the next month, I will post some pictures once I figure out how to.

Thanks Rick
Metroman

Re: Parts for 55 Commander wagon

Postby Mike » 2015 Jul 04 Sat 8:39 am

Welcome to the Conestoga site.

Well...seems I've got a lot of what you need, except for the steering.
Adding power steering will be a bit of a pain. You need a new "reach rod" (drag link) and a hard to find front pulley also. If the front suspension is in good shape, you really don't need the power steering. I have a 59 Lark wagon, 259, auto trans. It's plenty drive-able without the power steering.

Anyway, I've got a decent 55 Commander. It really just needs one quarter panel and some top work to build a nice car. Though yes, it does have the normal front fender and floor rust.
I have no idea how to go about shipping anything as big as the dash to you.

Mike
Mike

Re: Parts for 55 commander wagon

Postby Metroman » 2015 Jul 04 Sat 11:52 pm

Mike

Thanks for your quick reply. Our club parts guy sources quite a few parts for the US so I will discuss this with him, he has a friend Who was a big source of parts called Bob ?? From San Francisco so normally has a container on the go most months.

Where are you located and I will speak to our part guy to see how we can arrange shipping.

Thanks again Rick
Metroman

Postby Metroman » 2015 Jul 05 Sun 12:50 am

Mike do you have any pictures of the car you mentioned?
Metroman

Postby Mike » 2015 Jul 07 Tue 5:58 am

Yes, I have some pictures.
Give me a little time, I trashed my back Saturday morning, so I haven't done much.
Also, forgot to say, the hood is now gone, well...most of it. All but one side of the grill chrome is usable/rechromeable (one indicator frame has a crack). Bumpers are usable. The engine is there but missing the carburetor and distributor. The dash is there and complete. Front suspension/steering is there and complete.

Mike
Mike

Postby Mike » 2015 Jul 12 Sun 6:33 pm

This is pretty much it. But as noted, the right quarter panel skin and the hood are gone. The front floor needs replacing, the top has dents from the parts sitting on it.
The dash is there and complete, the chassis is complete.
Any other questions, let me know.

Mike

DSC00318m.jpg
DSC00318m.jpg (441.4 KiB) Viewed 28410 times
Mike

Postby Metroman » 2015 Jul 17 Fri 3:43 am

Hi Mike thanks for your reply I hope you have recovered! Do you have an email and contact details so I can get in touch?
Metroman

Postby Mike » 2015 Jul 17 Fri 5:16 pm

See PM

Mike
Mike

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA