Delivered 54 Conestoga

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Delivered 54 Conestoga

Postby Mike » 2005 Feb 26 Sat 7:29 pm

Ok.......everyone sitting down?

Anyone need a frame? That's about all that's any good!
Some of the chrome and stainless is in "ok" condition. Maybe able to be reworked to look reasonable if ever needed. It's got the stainless trim at the base of the windows with a small round Conestoga badge, one side only and the one that's there has been destroyed by the sun, but the cast piece is good. The windshield and tailgate glass is usable. The two grill openings are fixable (replateable), the bars are lightly pitted, maybe fixable. The tail light housings are trash. The doors seem usable, the frt. fenders....trash (I kinda knew that). The floors......the guy just flat LIED! And I told him so. One quarter panel seems ok, the other is trash. The hood I knew was trash.
It's restorable/fixable only for the real diehard type. Or someone looking for a REAL project.

Sooo....I guess I got semi raped on the car, but it does have usable details that might take for ever to find and be expensive when found......!

Anyone need any hard parts...let me know. I'll be keeping most of the usable bright work, the beltline trim is for sale. I'll be keeping the glass and probably the doors.
Most anyother parts that may be there........let me know what you need.

No Roger...no skirts!

Tomorrow is another day to look a little closer.

Later boys.
Mike

Postby Mike » 2005 Feb 27 Sun 1:53 pm

After little more looking.......

It's got a "double" arm brake pedal. The long pedal pad has an arm on both ends of the pad. Both arms go thru the floor and bolt together at the pivot. Also from the pivot there is a big heavy brace that connects the pedal pivot to the master cylinder. It all looks stock/original.

There's also a small difflector plate screwed to the frame right ahead of the pedal assembly. None of my wagons have had that, not even my prevously unmolested 60 2 dr wagon.

And for what it may be worth, the frame does seem to be pretty straight. No ripples, no visable jack/jack stand marks.

The gas door looks good...............!

More later
Mike

Postby BRIZ » 2005 Feb 27 Sun 8:09 pm

Mike wrote:It's got a "double" arm brake pedal. The long pedal pad has an arm on both ends of the pad. Both arms go thru the floor and bolt together at the pivot.

mine has that too!

dose it have a visor?
BRIZ
Site Admin

Postby Mike » 2005 Feb 27 Sun 8:50 pm

No visor, but it does have the "full" stainless trim....that covers the whole A pillar.

I may back off my total piece of crap thought a bit......
Yes it does need a hood, both fenders and both front floor sections (in the corners by the body support). And about...proably 4" or 5" of trim and replace from the left rear wheel opening to the bumper.........otherwise it's perfect. If you also consider the dash is missing about half of it's components and the front seat is nearly springs only. The back seat doesn't even look used!

Anyway.......on idea what to do with it......!
Mike

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Feb 28 Mon 8:50 am

A good idea what to do to it...

Sounds like you got robbed and taken advantage of...

To eliminate any of the buyer's remorse, I volunteer to come pick it up so as to alleviate your pain and anguish of having to look at it and be reminded of the horror that is sitting in your driveway.

What's your address??

LOL 8)

Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Postby Mike » 2005 Feb 28 Mon 1:57 pm

Wow..........

Now I don't feel so bad!!!
That's not the car you just put the tires and wheels on is it? Or is that your "other" car?

Yea, different, but kinda the same as your shots. No big holes anywhere, just a lot of little ones. Funny, it's got a sh!t load of undercoating, the "whole" underside is thick with it, everywhere. It doesn't seem like the floor would have ANY rust holes. Where the outer quarter panel is rusted.....the inner panels seem fine! The outer is gone...about 1" x 40" worth.
I guess it'd look a whole lot better with a good hood and fenders.

I'm leaning toward a resale righ now...not sure.
Maybe remove a coupla small things, and back in the paper with it.
Need to get the paperwork finished first, it's a lien sale.
Mike

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Feb 28 Mon 5:36 pm

Funny, it's got a sh!t load of undercoating, the "whole" underside is thick with it, everywhere. It doesn't seem like the floor would have ANY rust holes. Where the outer quarter panel is rusted.....the inner panels seem fine! The outer is gone...about 1" x 40" worth.

That undercoating was good for about 10 years or so before it'd dry out, crack, and trap moisture behind it. Growing up in Chicagoland, I saw a lot of undercoated cars rust out very badly...

Undercoating doesn't prevent rust, it just postpones the start date...

It's got a "double" arm brake pedal. The long pedal pad has an arm on both ends of the pad. Both arms go thru the floor and bolt together at the pivot. Also from the pivot there is a big heavy brace that connects the pedal pivot to the master cylinder. It all looks stock/original.

Both of my cars have the double brake pedal...of course both of my cars have automatic transmissions... 8)

It's got the stainless trim at the base of the windows with a small round Conestoga badge, one side only and the one that's there has been destroyed by the sun, but the cast piece is good.

Mine has a circle 's' over a 'v' just behind the door at the beltline, not a 'conestoga' badge...can you post pics if different? I also have a 'Studebaker' script farther behind it (painted yellow).

There's also a small difflector plate screwed to the frame right ahead of the pedal assembly. None of my wagons have had that, not even my prevously unmolested 60 2 dr wagon.

Both of my cars have them (yes, even the one I dug outta the junkyard). Seems like somebody either didn't tighten them down after going in there, or they just felt it was a PITA to replace them.
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Parts

Postby Half Fast One » 2005 Mar 01 Tue 6:34 pm

Mike;
Sorry to hear that it is not what you expected, or should I say it IS what you expected.

Well here we go again, if your going to sell the belt- line trim at the bottom of the windows let me know.

Also, How are the doors and inner fenders ?

Which model is it ?

I am looking for a Commander Dash piece. I need the piece that fits under the left side set of gauges.

Also looking for ALL the INSIDE metal trim around the rear side and back windows.

If anyone else also has any of this stuff you can also contact me at estro@sbcglobal.net or by phone at 1-949-588-8777. And of course if you live anywhere else other then Southern California you can forget about the large stuff as it probably would cost to much to ship.

Thanks Mike ( and anyone else that may have anything ).
Roger
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby Mike » 2005 Mar 03 Thu 3:02 pm

Alright.................I give up.

It's too much work right now for me to get running (shit). Too many other projects!!
It IS fixable............though a bunch-o-work.
I can't /don't want to hang on to it the way it is.......

Do I doctor it up a little and sell it?
Do I cut it up, keep some, sell some?

What's the consensus here?
Mike

What to do ?

Postby Guest » 2005 Mar 03 Thu 6:29 pm

Hi Mike;
Well you know I am always looking for parts so you know what my opinion is. Piece it out.
Although it still might be a good candidate for a custom. Have not seen a conversion into a El Camino or Ranchero yet.
Do you think you can get your money back if you try and sell it ?
What ever you do let me know.
Good Luck
Roger

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA