transmission suggestions?

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

transmission suggestions?

Postby BRIZ » 2005 May 11 Wed 9:11 am

help!
my borg warner 2 speed is bleeding like a stuffed pig. the trany shop wanted a grand to fix it. reported to be fully original and virgin, thus all the seals are shot.

what transmission would be an easy replacement that fits the 289 in my 54 conestoga wagon?

the 2 speed borg that's in it feels like it was not designed to go over 55mph.

any suggestions?
BRIZ
Site Admin

Postby Mike » 2005 May 11 Wed 3:26 pm

Well, there are a coupla different GM to Stude adapters on the market. That sets you up with...5 different GM transmissions. I've got one. It'll be used to put a 200-4R in the Conestoga, for now anyway. I really want a 5spd. manual trans., but that'll have to wait a bit!

Nothing else swaps in easly.

Like I'm gonna do (some day!)....a Tremec, TKO 5spd., if you can find a bell housing. They're about $1800.00 bucks though!! I'm going to use a scattershield since I want to do a little racing.

I have two adapters.....but the spare is sorta promised to someone. Haven't heard from him for a coupla months though. Let me find out if he's still wants it. I'll get back to you.

Later

Mike

P.S. There's a guy down here that does the Stude auto trans. in his sleep. He does a bit in Turning Wheels when people have auto trans. questions, John Metzeger. I dought it'd cost that much. Though it may end up the same cost by the time you send it down here...he rebuilds it and sends it back!!
Oh, and by the way....they are actually 3 speeds. I'm suprised you haven't figured out how to shift'em as a three spd.
Start out in "low".....accelerate to your desired speed....shift fully into "drive".....and pull it back into "low"....now hold it to the desired 2nd gear speed....and shift it back into "drive" for 3rd (or high) gear.
Works like a charm.
Mike

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 May 18 Wed 9:18 am

Oh, and by the way....they are actually 3 speeds. I'm suprised you haven't figured out how to shift'em as a three spd.
Start out in "low".....accelerate to your desired speed....shift fully into "drive".....and pull it back into "low"....now hold it to the desired 2nd gear speed....and shift it back into "drive" for 3rd (or high) gear.
Works like a charm.

Is that from the factory operator's manual?? :shock:

lol...
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Postby Mike » 2005 May 18 Wed 4:30 pm

Why yes....I believe it is!

Hell, no idea, an old, long time Stude guy told me about it.
Mike

Postby StudeDave57 » 2005 May 23 Mon 11:23 am

I'm at sea, so I can't say if it's in my manuals, but I wouldn't doubt it. I shift my '65 Cruiser that way all the time- makes my friends wonder when they realize there is no clutch pedal! :? Be careful not to hit reverse, though... :oops: !
StudeDave '57 8)
StudeDave57

Postby Mike » 2005 May 23 Mon 4:58 pm

Funny you say that....

I remember way back, I was about 13 or 14. My dad and two brothers and I were going somewhere in my moms car. A 327, 62 Impala. It had a Powerglide trans. in it.

We left a red light....(my dad started screwing around) in low gear. When he shifted it...he slid on past high and went into reverse! I don't remember how fast we were going, but I'd bet it was over 40mph. I remember the sound of the rear axle coming up and "slaming" into the frame. Nasty sound. I can still hear it!
Well...the first series aluminum cased Powerglide survived, along with the u-joints and everything else. And my dad repeating over and over...."don't tell your mom"!
Mike

Postby Mike » 2005 May 23 Mon 5:00 pm

Hey Dave,

Where do you call home when you're not looking for something to blow up?
Mike

Postby BRIZ » 2005 May 24 Tue 1:29 am

thanks for da info!

i'll try that crazy shift stuff on the way to the shop
drop'n her off to ditch the generator tomorrow
BRIZ
Site Admin

Postby StudeDave57 » 2005 May 24 Tue 11:14 am

I'm not lucky enough to fly around doing anything like that- I just keep 'em in the air! Right now I'm a helicopter mechnic. Home? That's a tough one to answer. Even growing up I moved around! When I joined the Navy in 1988 I was living in Everett, Washington. Since then I've gone Coast to Coast to Coast and back a couple of times. I was even overseas for a a little while! When we return in July I'll be in San Diego, Ca. My tour there will be at least untill August of next year, maybe longer. Then I don't know where I'll go. I do know that it'll be my last tour- I retire in 2008! After that I may end up going back to Washington, I don't know yet...
StudeDave '57 8)
StudeDave57

trans

Postby BRIZ » 2005 Jul 05 Tue 8:59 pm

me pop's suggest put a 700R4 in'er

any you have experience with this?
is there any modifications to the floor and anything major besides adaptors?

and do any of you have recommendations for adaptors sellers?

paraded the girl all around town yesterday, hope you all had a great 4th
BRIZ
Site Admin

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA