Joining Conestoga Forum

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Joining Conestoga Forum

Postby Guest BR » 2005 Oct 18 Tue 10:05 pm

Hello All.
I have been visiting this site for sometime.
I own a very rusted out cut up 1954 Conestoga.
I intend to rod what is left of my Conestoga.
My question is, to register on this forum does my Conestoga have to run or be road worthy?
Guest BR

Postby Mike » 2005 Oct 19 Wed 7:36 am

Nope, not at all.

Many have one (or two) that's not running!
Sometimes we have a lot to say....sometimes it gets kinda quite, but someone is usually checkin in to see what's up with everyone.

Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2005 Oct 19 Wed 1:08 pm

Mike hit it rite on the head! I have 2 just as you described and one that I threaten to drive when the planets are aligned! Welcome aboard! Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Joining Conestoga Forum

Postby Sask Stude » 2005 Oct 19 Wed 9:41 pm

Hello all:
I am Guest BR. Thanks for the positive responses to me joining.
I decided to register and from now on I will signing in as Sask Stude.
A little back ground on my 1954 Conestoga. The complete car is very rusty. The floor boards will have to be replaced. I purchased the wagon with the roof cut off just behind the front door, someone decided to my a pickup out of it.
They proceeded to move the upper tailgate/backwindow to just behind the front seat.
Then they cut up the roof to fill in around the back window.
Since most of the roof is missing I decided to try and make a Ranchero/ El Camino style vehicle out of it.
I purchased a very rusted out 1964 T cab, cab and plan to graft the roof & cab back onto the wagon. The floor of the cab & half of the firewall is rusted away so I am not ruining a good 64 T cab.
This may turn out to be a very long term project.
I look forward to corresponding with everyone.
Sask Stude

Postby Mike » 2005 Oct 20 Thu 11:21 am

Yea, when I bought my 54, the last owner said all the rust had been removed and new metal had been welded in. Well, a few weeks ago as I was finishing the installation of old style bucket seats and seat belts, I noticed strange movements in the floor !!

Well, like you say, long story but, I decided to buy all new floor panels. $500 big ones, both sides!

Really makes me wonder what's under the paint !!

Keep us posted, and send Matt pictures so he can put them in the registry with the rest of'em
Mike

Postby chopped wagon » 2005 Oct 21 Fri 10:48 am

Seems funny is there a conestoga that doesn't need some type of floor work? Classic enterprises in Barron WI. has a lot of these floors available.
Check www.classient.com I bought their floor pans and rocker panels and was really happy with them. The sedan floors are really close to the wagon floors. Don't use flat sheetmetal in place of the floors as you will never be happy with the oil can sounds while you are driving. When I bought my car it was a junkyard car and the roof had been cut off.
Good luck
Adrian Thiele
1954 studebaker conestoga custom
chopped top street rod.
don't hate me when I got the car the roof was aready cut off into three pieces. It was a junk yard car.
chopped wagon

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Nov 06 Sun 6:17 pm

My question is, to register on this forum does my Conestoga have to run or be road worthy?

:shock: I sure hope not!! :shock:

Welcome aboard!! 8)
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Studecamino...Conechero...Conemino??

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Nov 06 Sun 6:42 pm

I purchased the wagon with the roof cut off just behind the front door, someone decided to my a pickup out of it.
They proceeded to move the upper tailgate/backwindow to just behind the front seat.
Then they cut up the roof to fill in around the back window.
Since most of the roof is missing I decided to try and make a Ranchero/ El Camino style vehicle out of it.
I purchased a very rusted out 1964 T cab, cab and plan to graft the roof & cab back onto the wagon.

I almost did that to my Commander, but the roof (was walked on) popped back into shape with nary a wrinkle...

I like the idea of the truck cab. I pondered on how to make it look nice and not too goofy, while giving it a finished (not chopped up) look.

I was going to keep the stock Conestoga tailgate though...all trucks need a tailgate...

By the way, I've not done much with my Connies but gather parts. I think I found a good S-10 4x4 chassis for my Commander. I was wandering around a bone yard looking for a guage cluster for my new 59 GMC 3/4t longbed.
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Postby Sask Stude » 2005 Nov 10 Thu 8:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I agree with you, Conestogaman. I would need a tailgate. I do want to use the lower tailgate off a Conestoga. My wagon had the lower tailgate missing when I purchased it.
I did some checking in the parts book and the 54/55 lower tailgates are the same part number. However finding a 54/55 tailgate may be hard. I have looked at pictures of 56-62 wagons & the rear tailgates appear to be similiar. The part numbers are different. Has anyone tried installing a 56 or newer lower tailgate on a 54/55? If so, does it fit and what are the differences?
For you southern folk, our snow melted today :D
Sask Stude

Postby Mike » 2005 Nov 11 Fri 8:30 am

I may have mentioned before, I was told (by an old time Stude guy) that the 54 to 59 will work. The later ones are slightly different in the bolt pattern, but can be modified to fit.

The 60 and later (I assume) are a totally different tail gate. My 60 Lark is flat across the top. No dip around the upper handle. The 60 handle is in the lower section.

While still kinda hard to find, finding a 59 down, opens up the choices a little. I'll keep my eye for out for one down here for ya.

Mike
Mike

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA