Calling all V-8 wagons out there...

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Calling all V-8 wagons out there...

Postby Mike » 2005 Nov 21 Mon 9:28 am

Hey, any of you guys/girls that has a "Stude" V-8 in their wagon, could you do me a favor???

I need the distance from the front of the fan to the radiator.

I'm thinking of moving the distributor to the front of the engine and need to know if I have the room.

Ya...I know...how, why, etc.
How...using a Chevy front drive conversion. Will end up using a Chevy distributor.

Why...well.....the leading mechanical reason is, to remove the spark scatter caused by the cam twist. Another reason....just cause I can, another reason...for the fun of it!

Thanks

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2005 Nov 24 Thu 11:32 pm

Mike.....I have 5 inches between the bolt heads and Rad. 55 Ultra Vista c/w 259 and stock rad.

Good luck with your adventure.....Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2005 Nov 25 Fri 1:02 pm

Very cool...
Thanks Al.

I "guestamate" that I'll have to move the water manifold about 2-1/2" or 2-3/4" foward.

I've got one of Lional Stones aluminum water manifolds. So with the Chevy distributor adapter, which includes a lower pully spacer, an ATI damper on the crank (Chevy pattern). So just figuring out a way acuratly locate and fix the adapter to the front cover.....I think is my biggest problem.

Thanks again.

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2005 Nov 25 Fri 8:27 pm

Mike....What are ya plannin to do with this ole girl? Are ya trying to be the next Ted Harbit? Cam twist and Spark scatter are generally something associated with High RPM applications and big valve spring pressure. Does your new system convert the ignition to a crank trigger style sensor? Just nosy! :roll: Let me know how your endeavor goes. Keep smilin and stylin......Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2005 Nov 26 Sat 7:10 pm

Yea, just try'in some unconventional (to Stude types) things. I looken to get my wagon into the 13 sec. bracket if possible...without pressure or laughing gas.

I spent a coupla hours this afternoon grinding/contouring the leading edge of the counter weights on the crank. Will it do much on a 6000/6500rpm engine.......who knows...but I'm going to do a bunch of the little things that, on their own probably won't do much, but all added into the same block...hopefully somethin.
Same thing with the head work I'm doing. Small 1.562" exhaust valve....would like to try a 1.50" but the bowl's too big for that. A sorta small intake at 1.84". In an effort to unshroud rather than put a huge valve in the head that is heavly shrouded. I've opened the intake side of the chamber to the bore size, that did a lot of unshrouding. The entrance of the port has straight walls now and you can actually see the entire interior of the port now (from the manifold side). I've removed (in the process to finish!) the entire hump in the intake port roof and thinned the guide excessivly.

Tryin to do something about the crummy cam choices right now. Not quite sure what to do yet.

Don't know.....it'll eather fall flat on it's face or it'll fly!

The front distributor drive....mostly for the fun of it!
Mike

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Dec 06 Tue 7:46 pm

Spark scatter?? :shock:

I'll bet that's hard to clean up... :?

D'jou use a vacuum fer that?? :roll:

Good luck! 8)
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Postby Mike » 2005 Dec 07 Wed 8:16 am

Yea....but it's got to be a heavy duty one.....one of the bigger shop-vac types!
Mike

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA