Anyone still here? About to own one (hopefully)

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Anyone still here? About to own one (hopefully)

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Aug 26 Sat 5:40 am

I see there is not much activity here, but wanted to register and see if someone could answer a couple of questions regarding parts availability. If all goes as expected I will own a '54 Conestoga in a few days (Regal Commander). The car is in a pretty well preserved state despite needing some restoration. I'm not sure which direction to go (though I know it won't be restomod).

I'm sure it will need the usual brake job including lines. Someone has already fabricated and fitted a stainless steel gas tank (but there is no filler neck!) Engine runs but auto trans is unknown. Uplhostery can be cleaned and brought back. Still has the original (or very old) Allstate spare tire, still with the blue preservative on the whitewall. The other tires look the same age. The bed in back does not look like others I have seen on the web- thin wood strips instead of carpet.

I'm wondering if Conestoga specific parts are going to be impossible to find I have a '62 GT Hawk and have not had a problem getting parts, but there are a lot more Hawks around. If I need, for example, a piece of side trim, will I have any hope of finding it?
Mainstreetprod

Re: Anyone still here? About to own one (hopefully)

Postby Mike » 2023 Aug 26 Sat 7:43 am

Hi and welcome.
Yeah, it's been a bit slow for a while. Good to have new blood ! There's a few old timers that check in, without posting, but may chime in if they can help with a problem.

Yes, there are many wagon (Conestoga) parts available. You don't say what you may be needing, but...
Studebaker International is the overall main site to look for reproduction parts, they even have NOS parts. Many other backyard shops are also ready to help with good reproduction parts.
Most all chassis parts interchange between all Studebakers, especially the front. The rears, the 53 to 55 use a different leaf spring, but the bushings are available.
And of course, guys that have "take-off" parts at home.
Want an updated trans, there's a coupla guy selling adapters to install GM transmissions behind your Stude engine. I have two ! GM, T-200-4R bolted behind my Stude engines (I have two Conestogas).
There's also the "Racing Studebaker" site if you want to hot rod your wagon.
https://racingstudebakers.com/foo/

There's a couple of us that have figured out what it takes to make Stude cylinder heads flow well for mileage and performance work. One guy has built adapter plates to instal small Chevy intake manifolds when you have your heads ported so all that head work actually helps.

Post some photos and your needs when you get the car home.
Have fun with it.

Mike
Mike

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Aug 26 Sat 8:49 am

Thanks for the reply Mike, I'll know by Wednesday or so if I've got the car. Not too concerned about mechanical parts except for those that are Conestoga only, like the leaf springs. Very concerned about trying to remove pot metal trim for a paint job and breaking it, when replacements are impossible to find. Hopefully I won't need to much mechanically, because I strongly suspect this is a low mileage car, suffering only from long term storage. I 'll know for sure when I have a chance to inspect it more thoroughly.
Mainstreetprod

Postby Mike » 2023 Aug 26 Sat 3:59 pm

The MAIN...trim, the Conestoga script on the tailgate, will be the difficult one...
Studebaker International has / had them. Years back, someone had them made. Nicely done too. They offered them in one of their small mailout catalogs. A called, the guy said, "no we don't have those". I said, please check part number xxxxxxxxx. They in fact, did have them ! I bought two.
I don't recall the part number now, but they did, at one time have them. I doubt they sold many, so...with some luck !

Mike
Mike

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Aug 29 Tue 4:31 pm

conestoga 1.jpeg
conestoga 1.jpeg (73.7 KiB) Viewed 245251 times
Just bought the car at online auction, don't have it home yet but thought I would post some photos. I was able to inspect in person first so have a decent idea what I'm getting. They cranked and ran it for me for a few seconds, sounded fine. Noticed that it had a fabricated stainless gas tank installed, but no filler neck- finding that will be interesting!
Mainstreetprod

Postby Mike » 2023 Aug 29 Tue 10:39 pm

Nice find for sure.

An odd wheel cover treatment. Two pieces ?
Looks very straight for what we can see.

Supercharged Chrysler, 392 Hemi would be great under the hood !!
Sorry !

Mike
Mike

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Aug 30 Wed 9:09 pm

Not sure if those are accessory beauty rings? Never seen any quite like them. Edit: I see they are the standard full wheel covers. 392 would be sacrilege, but maybe I can coax a few more horses out of the "mighty" 232 :D
Last edited by Mainstreetprod on 2023 Sep 01 Fri 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mainstreetprod

Postby Mike » 2023 Aug 30 Wed 9:29 pm

Not so much good power from the 232 without a blower. But a fresh 259 or 289 would be welcome. No difference in the three, visually.

Mike
Mike

Postby BRIZ » 2023 Oct 02 Mon 4:45 pm

Nice find!
Good luck on the project.
Please keep us post here on the progress and any questions.
Thanks!
BRIZ
Site Admin

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA