Brake light wiring?

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Brake light wiring?

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Sep 25 Mon 7:01 am

Mike (or anyone else lurking) - got another question, this time about the wiring harness. No brake lights and the hydraulic switch is fine and has power to it. On the wiring diagram the wire splits off at a three way connector and then splits off again at a 6 way connector. Any idea where those might be? Also, I assume I'm going to remove the driver side rear interior panel and see the harness traveling down the inside. How does it go under the door? I think once I find these connectors I can find my problem since wires don't usually break in the middle (and this particular car is very "un messed with".

Finally, is most of the chrome trim removed by reaching inside the interior panels and removing bolts, or is there another trick (I read somewhere about someone pulling a long strip backwards off the clips). Thanks in advance!
Mainstreetprod

Re: Brake light wiring?

Postby Mike » 2023 Sep 25 Mon 7:49 am

Now...this...I have.
I have two complete, new, fresh...unused, (a couple of years old), but still unused in the box complete wiring harness for a Conestoga Commander.

I have two, because I have two Conestogas. I have the two complete wiring harnesses, because, I had planned on using them !
Why didn't I... I ended up buying more modern, aftermarket harness kits (one so far) to rewire my cars with. Since I have high power ignitions. electric fuel pumps, aftermarket radios, electric fans, etc., etc., I figured more current wire, many more outlets, and a modern circuit board type fuse board was a better way to go for me.

So yeah, let me know if you are interested, I'll make you a good deal on one (or both !). Matter of fact, I just found them last weekend looking for something else.

As for the trim..yeah, both methods work. Most of the trim clips are bolt ons. A pain in the butt. In general, easy to remove, but sometimes a pain to get to. And or easy to unbolt...but time consuming to get to.
As far as the "pull" method. Yeah, plenty possible...BUT...be carefull, its easy to bend the trim as you pull. I've been lucky on the few that I've pulled off, but I know of others that were not so lucky and had to find other trim pieces.
The trim on the rain gutters...good luck is all I can say. I tried "one", and decided to snap it back into place !!!

Mike
Mike

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Sep 25 Mon 4:55 pm

I probably don't need the whole harness. Mine seems fine, except in the engine compartment where the heat got to it. However, I still don't have brake lights or turn signals after hours of work so you never know.

No trim on rain gutters on mine, guess it got lost along the way. I'm assuming the "Regal Commander" would have had them.
Mainstreetprod

Postby Mike » 2023 Sep 25 Mon 9:45 pm

On the wiring -
The only multi-connector that I know of is at the bottom (interior) of the steering mast jacket. Should be at the top or slightly to the left side, but toward the top of the jacket, down near the firewall.
The turn signals come down from there, so that may have a little to do with the brake lights too. A place to start anyway.
Another place to look is the headlight switch. There's a bunch of wires coming out of that switch. They can be taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled. Just go slowly and lube with dielectric grease when reassembling.

Yeah, the main place that scares me when I get to my wiring work. I don't want the tail lights to blink when I turn on a left turn signal !!

Yeah, I think the Regals had polished stainless on the rain gutters from the factory.

Mike
Mike

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Sep 26 Tue 8:32 pm

Got the turn signals and brakes lights working today, was just gunked up contacts in the turn signal switch. Also swapped out the starter cable and battery cables and now she starts like a champ.

Question about parking brake ('54). How is it released? Mine has no release plunger, so I assume you rotate it to release, but it doesn't rotate. Owners manual says use plunger button. Pawl catch doesn't work either.
Mainstreetprod

Postby Mike » 2023 Sep 26 Tue 11:50 pm

Yeah, both of my Conestogas brake release, on a rotation of the "T" handle.

Yours may be rusted or otherwise "gunked" up causing the rotation to be difficult. Get a rag, a can of WD40, and hose the top of the brake handle mechanism liberly. Use the rag to keep the liquid / spray from getting all over everything else !
After soaking a little while, give the "T" handle a few taps, both directions, with a mallet to break it loose. Keep working it.

It...should...rotate.
You DO...need to pull out slightly, then rotate the handle.

Mike
Mike

Postby Mainstreetprod » 2023 Sep 27 Wed 7:53 am

I initially did the WD 40 thing to get the handle loosened up - it now slides in and out just fine. Rotating it is not possible , even with handle pulled out ( my GT Hawk had that type handle so I'm familiar with the feel).
Mainstreetprod

Postby Mike » 2023 Sep 27 Wed 10:39 am

Well, the next step it seems would be to remove it from the car and dig into its deep workings and find the problem while on the bench.

Mike
Mike

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA