Rack-n-pinion steering?

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Postby 4X4 Wagon » 2005 Jan 09 Sun 11:35 am

Let's keep this simple.....
You bought it ? You payed for it ? You own it ? You do what ever you want to with it!!!!!! If someone get's there shorts all twisted up about what you want to do with it, remind them that it was for sale when you bought it and for the right price it can be sold again. It's about having fun and enjoying what you pay and play with. Heck, go put the body on a old tank and crush cars, it belongs to you......
The world will not stop turning if you dont restore it back to original.
Have fun. Just be sure you build it to be SAFE. I dont want you driving that tank behind me and have the brakes fail. Ha....
Keep us informed as to your progress.
Roger
4X4 Wagon

Postby Mike » 2005 Jan 09 Sun 10:45 pm

What's 4x4 all up in arms about????? Relax dude!

Anyway, Conestogaman...

While it doesn't sound like my cup-o-tea, do a lot of measuring. Verify how much and what parts of the floor have to be cut. Because the the short stock frame cross section, (basicly a 2x4), I'd make sure the new frame isn't too much taller (4") than the stock frame height.

One of the things I've been told by numerous Stude folk.... That outside body mount by the door hinges.... What ever you do, support that part of the body. I've heard of several horror stories of cars with those cross members removed on cars that have been driven a lot, having sagging and ill fitting doors after a bit of on road time.

If the new frame hangs too much below the rocker moldings....I'd look into another option. It'd look a bit weird with 2" or 3" of frame hanging down.....LIKE a 4x4......!
Another possibility is the Chevy Syclone (spl?) and the other S-10 all wheel drive car. That seems to be a semi popular swap. But again the frame height situation.
Mike

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Jan 10 Mon 12:56 am

[One of the things I've been told by numerous Stude folk.... That outside body mount by the door hinges.... What ever you do, support that part of the body. I've heard of several horror stories of cars with those cross members removed on cars that have been driven a lot, having sagging and ill fitting doors after a bit of on road time. ]

OH YEA!! This already came to me in a dream! :shock:

When I removed the stock engine, the x-member came off with the boxed sections attached to it (and not to the floor pans where they belonged). I can see why they never get put back on. I can also see why they're necessary.

I've already convinced myself to, at the very least, weld the old boxes (which, amazing as it sounds, are still fairly rust free) to the new floor panels I need to install, and I am really considering rebuilding the boxes from heavier guage metal (along with the floor pans) for added rigidity and support...especially the way I drive...

This area is the worst for me from a rot repair standpoint, and if I'm gonna do it...(you know the rest)

[If the new frame hangs too much below the rocker moldings....I'd look into another option. It'd look a bit weird with 2" or 3" of frame hanging down.....LIKE a 4x4......! ]

I ran out and measured my full size Chevy 4x4 p/u truck chassis and it is 6" tall. I don't think the S-10 chassis is much taller than the Stude, and if it is taller (6"), I can live with 2" showing, but you are right about 3" or more looking a bit weird.

I don't think I'll have a problem though, as the rocker panels hang down a bit below the botom of the stock chassis. I'll measure to be sure, but I think the car can swallow a 6" tall frame without much hanging out the bottom at all.

[Another possibility is the Chevy Syclone (spl?) and the other S-10 all wheel drive car. That seems to be a semi popular swap. But again the frame height situation]

If you can find one... The Cyclone should use the same chassis as the S-10's, but with a big motor, lower stance, huge brakes, and rear discs.

I've been told the S-10 transfer case won't handle too much power unless you get a Cyclone unit (I think they're tougher than a stock S-10). Real 4 wheelers yank those puny, girlie man boxes out and usually install an NP205, Atlas, KluneV, or other indestructible offroad unit. Problem is, these are purpose built for ultra low gears and slow travel speeds. They are too clunky for a street rod 4x4.

I still have to do more research, but the Caddy/burban viscous unit may be just what I'm looking for in strength and drivability, without the cost of the Cyclone specific chassis or parts.

4x4 Stude...

Thanks for the encouragement and defense. At first, 'cause the wife told me to lose a vehicle, and it's what I had on hand, I was gonna put this body on my lifted (9") full size p/u chassis.

Since then, I've built this car (in my mind) every way I could think of from lifted rock crawler to slammed crusier, resto rod to salt flat speedster,to stock as a rock to Stude-camino. I've even seen a '55 Connie with the traditional blower thru the hood, tubbed wrinkles, drag bars, roll cage, and all the full race goodies (and a sweet tweed interior).

All of these treatments would make the Conestoga a fine ride. This performance, street, AWD theme seems, to me, to be the direction vehicle design is headed in the future. Both the manufacturers and hobbist builders are turning out more of them every day, and the public can't get enough of 'em.

I want to say thanks to you all for the tips and warnings and please keep those ideas coming. Any suggestions, however silly sounding, are very welcome. Sometimes, it takes something silly to make things work out alright or open doors no one knew were there before. The classic 'think outside the box'.

Too much longer on this subject and I'll need to re-name the thread...

Ok, stepping down now...g'nite and thanks again!
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

4x4 wagon

Postby Conestogaman » 2005 Jan 10 Mon 12:58 am

Oh, by the way, you got a pic of that 4x4 wagon?? 8)
Happy Wagoneering!

'54 Conestoga Champion
'54 Conestoga Commander "Connie"
'54 Conestoga "Rusty bucket"
'48 Stude 2R 4x4 monster truck "Tina"
'94 BMW K75 "Red"
'01 BMW R1150GSA "The Cow Killa"
Conestogaman

Previous

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA