For those that want power

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

For those that want power

Postby Mike » 2009 Jan 18 Sun 6:50 pm

You too can get more Stude power with some time and a hand grinder.

Got these finally done.
All four ports are different...this will give me the best chance of good ports after I have these flow tested next week.
I'll then take the best port...or a combination of, and grind a coupla sets of heads and see how fast I can get my 54 Conestoga to go!

Click on - ".050" move, Intake port.

http://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/

Double click to enlarge.

Mike
Mike

Re: For those that want power

Postby hi-per al » 2009 Jan 28 Wed 11:07 am

Mr. Mike....How did the flow testing go? Did you get any stunning results? Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2009 Feb 02 Mon 9:07 am

Hey Al (et al) -

Well...not so positive.
I seem to have hit a brick wall. The first test with the valve moved over was a quick and dirty deal. I really figured the way I did the the first one (begining of last summer), that a more carefull and thought out porting would lead to good things!

Well...it didn't..! It actually was about the same... That is all FIVE ports..the one during the summer and the four the other day...with a coupla small differences...are basically the same!
I'm thinking it might be either the port opening (gasket surface) isn't large enough or the roof can't be made high enough to make a good turn toward the valve.

I've made a coupla big changes in the best flowing port, I made a huge change to the worst flowing port...although...even if this one DOES work...I can't do it to any usable heads because the material thickness in the back of the bowl is too thin!

Also...I've got a date next Friday with a "professional". Nooo...actually the main port designer at a head manufacturing company. Hopefully, we can go over before and after heads and maybe he can shed some light on this.

Will let you know next weekend.

Mike
Mike

Postby hi-per al » 2009 Feb 02 Mon 10:08 pm

Mr. Mike...What test pressure were you using on your initial tests? Did you notice any turbulance difference between the ports? Test temp difference?

Yeah I know just wait until your next set of tests. Good hunting and Thanx for sharing....Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Mike » 2009 Feb 03 Tue 7:39 am

Same place I've done all the testing so far, Westech. Same place a lot of the So. Cal. magazines go.
No...didn't do any of that fancy stuff. Using a computer corrected 28in.
We talked about using the pitot tube for the speed...never did. They don't have any smoke options.

I'm not a real fan of dry benches in the first place...but I guess it is a good start for something like this. A coupla things...I doubt that the dry bench even see's them. A wet bench would.

Later.

Mike
Mike

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA