Parts number

Buy-Sell-Trade, Wanted, Q&A, anything Conestoga!

Parts number

Postby Nick Wilson » 2010 Mar 01 Mon 5:26 pm

Does anyone know the parts number for the 54 rear bumper?
Nick Wilson

Re: Parts number

Postby s2dwagon » 2010 Mar 01 Mon 7:24 pm

Hi Nick,

My 55 parts book lists the rear bumper as 532088w for model 16G-D. It should be the same part number for 54's and 55's. Also, note you will need a #532043w vertical bumber (license plate frame) too.

If anyone reading this has an extra #532274p spacer, I need one. It's the round spacer that is flat on one end, angle cut on the other, about an inch long and goes on the stud that mounts the vertical bumper to the bumper bracket.

Nice looking car, BTW.

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby hi-per al » 2010 Mar 03 Wed 10:14 am

My 54 Chassis parts book shows the same numbers that Scott has listed. Upon investigation he has also enlightened me to the fact that I am missin those #532274p spacers as well. Dammmmn!

Al
Live your Dreams
hi-per al

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 Mar 04 Thu 1:53 am

Question:
How hard could it be to make these spacers? Any suggestions?
Just a thought....

Roger...
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby Mike » 2010 Mar 04 Thu 7:32 am

Vertical bumper to the bracket....?

The uprights bolt thru the bumper, then thru the main bracket, then thru the triangular spacer that's behind the bracket that bolts to the frame.

What am I missing?

Mike
Mike

Postby s2dwagon » 2010 Mar 04 Thu 4:54 pm

Roger,

As far as making one goes, it really shouldn't be all that hard. It is simply a round spacer, 1" in diameter with a 7/16" drilled through the center. It is flat on one end, and the other end is cut at a 45 degree angle. The longest side of the spacer is 1" long and the short side is 1/2 long".

The simple way to make one, is to make two. Take a piece of round stock 1" in diameter, a little longer than 1 1/2 in length, dril a 7/16" hole through the center and cut it in half, (across the diameter) at a 45, leaving you with 2 equal length pieces.

I need one and will make it if I can't find one somewhere. It's just that I don't have drills that large and I'll have to cut it with a hack saw, but, I guess it's a labor of love.....

Mike,

You are correct, the vertical bumper bolts do not actually go through the "bracket", they go through the bumper only. The hole in the bumper that the vertical bracket studs go through, are at a 45 degree angle. The spacer, goes over the studs, on the back side of the bumper, butts up on the 45 and allows the nut to make 360 degree contact with the bumper. I hope this makes sense.

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Half Fast One » 2010 Mar 04 Thu 11:49 pm

OK;

Now I have to dig out the bumper and see what you guys are talking about. Then I need to check and see if I have any 1" round stock and make a few of these. Got drill bits, got 1/2" pedestal drill, got cut-off saw, need to find a piece of 1" round stock. Anybody care if it's steel or aluminum? Make any difference?

Now remember, I live way out in the country and I sure as hell am not going to make a 60 mile drive, in a 4X4 HD 2500 pickup truck with a 8.1 liter engine, to town to pick up a piece of 1" round stock.

If I have the round stock I'll give it a shot. Will let you know in a day or two. Also, all the metal stock I have is either in a stuffed 40' container, a stuffed 24' car carrier or in a stuffed 3 car over-sized garage. Ask the Gods for help..... Ha!!!

Roger....
Half fast one - Say it fast, says it all ....
Half Fast One

Postby s2dwagon » 2010 Mar 05 Fri 7:25 am

Wow! Roger, that would be fantastic, thanks!

I don't think it has to be steel, aluminum would be fine. I don't think it even needs to be round stock, square would be ok, also. The main purpose of this spacer is to give a flat spot for the nut to tighten on. So, it is being "sandwiched" between the nut on one end, and the 45 degree angle at the bumper end.

If you do make some I'll buy one. My email address is;
s2dwagon@hotmail.com

Best regards,

Scott
s2dwagon

Postby Mike » 2010 Mar 05 Fri 12:49 pm

Scotts correct.
Round or square will work.

BUT...while square sounds better on the surface, it will also take more work...in that the hard corner that will rest in the corner of the bracket is heavily radiused. So the "spacer" will need a slightly larger radius to work right....LOTSA filing...

While not "correct" factory wise, the round bar with a hole in it will work just as well and take much less effort to make.
The only thing about using the round stock...you'll need to mess with this a little to pick a well suited diameter. Use coins (nickle, quarter, etc.) or other junk around the house to pick a diameter that sits well in the bracket.

Have fun...

Mike
Mike

Postby jerry » 2010 Mar 05 Fri 2:13 pm

What about a piece of pipe to make the spacer?
jerry

Next

Return to ALL THINGS CONESTOGA